Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter shelf life?

Hey Russ,

I admit it, I'm bad I'm working on my RO/DI for the first time in over three years because I finally hit 1 TDS.

Our tap water here is mountain fed, so I'm at 15-18 TDS at the tap. I still have some of my Ohio stock filters from you never used (carbon and pre-filter) along with DI resin, so went to clean the unit and swap everything but the membrane out. I swapped the pre and carbon and ran a membrane flush for probably 10 minutes.

Here's the scenario:
    Tap: 18
    After pre-filters: 89
    After membrane: 32

So the pre-filters are adding significantly to the TDS. I will flush for another 10-15 minutes, so for everyone's knowledge is there a hypothetical shelf life for filters or something that can damage them over time? Are mine just too old or somehow have degraded or had issues over the years?

Thanks.
    Last edited by RokleM; 09-14-2014, 04:14 PM.
    -Eric

Finally cleared up. I would say it took a good 45 minutes or so for the numbers to drop down to normal levels. While it's been a while, I don't recall having to do it to that extent before.
    -Eric

Comment

Wow Ur normal drinking water is only 18 Eric? That's crazy low for tap ain't it? I think when I test mine it was over 300 lol. Now I'm curious I gotta check it and make sure

Comment

Really no shelf life on the sediment filter and carbon block - they can sit on the shelf for years and years prior to use. The DI resin capacity degrades slightly over time, no matter how well it is packaged. So ideally, don't buy more resin then you'll start using in 6-9 months.

I'm not sure what's happening with your numbers - that's odd. Maybe you have some bacterial growth/algae in the housings/tubing that you stirred up? Hopefully you sanitized the unit and lubed your orings as well.

Russ
        RODI Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com Info@BuckeyeHydro.com
        Dosing & Booster Pumps, 2-part additives, Salifert products, Solenoids, Phosphate Remover, Bulkheads, filter socks...

Comment

Originally posted by bill4t View Post
          Wow Ur normal drinking water is only 18 Eric? That's crazy low for tap ain't it? I think when I test mine it was over 300 lol. Now I'm curious I gotta check it and make sure
          Relocated, remember Yes, we don't have much to complain about here water wise
          Originally posted by Buckeye Hydro View Post
          Really no shelf life on the sediment filter and carbon block - they can sit on the shelf for years and years prior to use. The DI resin capacity degrades slightly over time, no matter how well it is packaged. So ideally, don't buy more resin then you'll start using in 6-9 months.

I'm not sure what's happening with your numbers - that's odd. Maybe you have some bacterial growth/algae in the housings/tubing that you stirred up? Hopefully you sanitized the unit and lubed your orings as well.

Russ
          Seems to be running on now after a really long flush, so really not sure. Yes, normal sanitation and maintenance process was followed.
          -Eric

Comment

Changed all mine out about 6 mos. ago, seemed to take mine a round an hour to hour and fifteen minutes for my numbers to come down too. I was a little cocerned at first, thought I had a bad membrane or something, but everything cleared up.
            My city water is usually 275 to 300 at the tap.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X