Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOOB alkalinity dump disaster. NEED HELP.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOOB alkalinity dump disaster. NEED HELP.

On my 60 gallon frag tank . 1 was rushing to set up my timers on my two part alkalinity and had to go to work. first time I had ever used the dosing pumps and the timers. I accidentally left brs alkalinity pumped on. 1.1 milliliters per minute for 8 hours Rofl. Dump at least a half a gallon of alkalinity. 450 milliliters into 60 gallons.

water is pure cloudy white. Alkalinity was 8.6 before dump. For what every reason the alkalinity is only reading 11. Corals seem to be doing ok none of them have closed up. What should I do?. Option 1. Leave everything alone don't add any more alkalinity and let it come down for a few weeks. Option 2. do a massive water change or a 100% water change. Advice needed thank you.

I actually dumped more like 550 milliliters of alkalinity mix. I will do a complete water testing parameters when I come home pH calcium magnesium. I use hanna Checkers and Red Sea testers. Corals in the frag tank or a mixed between soft corals zoanthids toadstools. A few beginner sps bird's nest purple Stylo. There is a white film of alkalinity precipitation all over aquarium glass and everything in the aquarium. For whatever reason my rastas and Fruit Loop zoanthids seem to like it and it fully opened up. Bawhaha.

Comment

That much alk created precipitation which is the white powder you are seeing. DO NOT DO ANYTHING. Quick changes are bad. You've accidentally created a quick change as an alk spike. A water change will bring down the alk too quick as another quick change, causing more stress. Just chill and let things come back to normal range.

Comment

And then be sure to soak pumps in vinegar soon thereafter

Comment

How are things looking today?

Comment

Water is slowly very slowly clearing up. Coral seem to be okay and are all open. All the corals are beginner easy coral.

Comment

Comment

Thankfully it wasn't a tank full of sps!
                ==> New 210 Miracles Starphire Build in Progress!

Comment

Working...
                X