Low ph help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low ph help

Ok, so I've been trying to raise my alk for some new sps that I've added recently, I've also been trying to raise my ph. Problem is I was mistaken and thought sodium bicarbonate help raise ph when in fact it is sodium carbonate. My ph is at 7.4 according to the salifert kit . How concerned should I be, I've already preformed a water change and I can do another one tomorrow. I'm going to change to soda ash for my further dosing of alk. Everything is acting fine. No bleaching of corals except for a new red dragon which could be from high light. Added a new tang yesterday and I'm worried I will stress it out too much
    Last edited by t81rd; 05-22-2016, 10:37 PM.
    -Travis-

I dose Kalk to maintain PH. As far as what matieral I use, Mrs Wages pickling lime.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

Yes, Kalk will do it, but go SLOWLY. Like, don't add more than a couple tablespoons a day until you can tell what it is doing.

7.4 is really low. That's about ten times lower than a healthy reef. That implies that your ammonia is too high, or something else is going on. What kind of salt are you using? How much live rock do you have, and do you have a deep sand bed?

Comment

Haven't checked my ammonia yet as my kit expired, this is what I'm most afraid of, I used to have a dsb, but about a month ago I switched to a different tank to remove the sand bed, I left the other tank setup and used 100% water from the other aquarium in the new one, I likely caused a mini cycle, but also have been adding baking soda to raise alk which lowers ph, so that could also be an issue. Switched over to soda ash last night for my dose and this morning it was at 7.7. Using the brs recommended daily dose on the ash to raise alk.
        -Travis-

Comment

Ok so I just re tested my parameters, ph 7.7 alk 9.3 Calcium 500, n03 .5, ammonia 0, po4 my mag is expired
          -Travis-

Comment

You'll need at least one more water change to get rid of the Nitrates, but definitely pick up some Kalkwasser to deal with the pH. Go slowly there. Most fish stores in town have it, but call ahead.

Comment

I have kalkwasser but I don't have an ato I just add ro daily , how would I add it without a ato. And I already did a water change to bring that down
              -Travis-

Comment

Working...
              X