Anyone carbon dosing or using zeovit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone carbon dosing or using zeovit?

Looking to see what kind of success or failures people have by dosing vodka or using zeovit in their tank.
    -Travis-

I dosed vodka for several years. It kept my tank pretty sterile. If you have issues, maybe try it but I would wait for your tank to be at least a year old before trying it.

After some time I was able to figure out how to keep my nutrients in check and the carbon dosing just made my SPS look pastel so I stopped. I'm not saying it was bad, I just figured out how to balance my chemistry without it.

Comment

Tank has been setup for a while now, I'd say around 4 years, including the crash ( some stuff lived through everything) I was just keeping softies so excess nutrients wasn't a big concern to me. Now that I have a few of those sps I got from you I need to be more active on keeping everything low. Carbon dosing just had an appeal because it was supposed to bring out better corals from what I've read
      -Travis-

Comment

I don't know anyone that has done either of them long term and kept at it. I've heard similar results with Zeovit that Hollback is talking about with pastel or "washed out" colors in corals. And like he said, there are better ways to manage excess nutrients

Comment

I understand, I honestly don't have a problem keeping nutrients down, I was just hoping to make my corals "pop" I've never seen a zeovit system in person but the colors look nice on pictures is why I asked, hard to see a pastel look on a picture.
          -Travis-

Comment

I've seen one in person after prolonged Zeovit usage and it did not look good.

Comment

Thanks I will save my money then lol
              -Travis-

Comment

I dose vodka/vinegar to help control nutrients because I have a decent amount of fish.
                I have heard really good things about the aquaforest line and the triton method. But don't know much on either one.

Corey

Comment

I am a fan of biopellets. Set it and forget it. I had a recent run of cyano for the first time, but that was easily removed with chemiclean.

That combined with two part and occassional carbon has kept my sps growing very fast with great colors. Only been active about a year though. If i had room I may prefer a giant refugium, though coz i love critters.

I cannot speak to 5 years into it, but so far so good. Im not as experienced as some of these other members to know better ways, but I cannot afford water changes alone to keep nitrates at 0 on a 150g system financially and my space underneath the tank is limited and cannot have a "fish room" as much as Id love one.

Comment

Working...
                  X