High calcium but normal alk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High calcium but normal alk?

Some of my zoas aren't opening as much as usual so I did a complete water test. I just got a higher than expected calcium reading, and everything else seems normal on my tank. Before I try any corrections I'm hoping for a second opinion.

70g total water volume.

Red sea tests:
    Alk - 9.5dkh
    Calcium - 510ppm
    Mg - 1410ppm

API tests:
    PH - 8.0
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 20ppm (realize this is high, working on reducing it already)

Other tests:
    salinity - 1.024
    temp - 79F

I don't have tests for phosphates, silicates or trace minerals at all really.

Mix of softies with a fair deal of LPS frags and colonies.

I dose very diluted kalkwasser (1/2tsp per gallon) via my ATO and do a 10% water change weekly.

Thoughts? The high calcium but ok alk is throwing me off.
    BUILDING OUT:
    75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
    3x 50g acrylic frag tanks
    100g rubbermaid sump

What are you running as far as reactors go, calcium reactor, kalk reactor, gfo reactor, bio pellets etc. Your alk is marginally high and your calcium is also marginally high but both seem to be balanced as in both on the high end but acceptable. Skimmer, filter socks, algae problem? Need some history.
    Bill
    Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

Do you run a calcium reactor?

I have seen where running a CA reactor plus dosing Kalk can cause your CA to creep up over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Porky View Post
        Do you run a calcium reactor?

I have seen where running a CA reactor plus dosing Kalk can cause your CA to creep up over time.
        correct unless you have clams!
        Bill
        Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

No algae problems for over a year.

I put a clean filter sock on when I do water changes and take it out after 48 hours.

I do not have a Ca reactor. I do have a bag of carbon and purigen packet that I run in the sump filter sock shelf and change every 2-3 weeks.

I have a reef octopus skimmer, makes about a cup of skimmate daily.

I feed my three fish every other day (alternate brine shrimp and rod's food). I feed reef roids twice a week for my corals (once during the day, once at night).

I have a refugium with a sand bed and a lot of rubble (10# worth). About 60# of rock in my display, and a .5" sand bed there. I have a fuge light but even with that chaeto tends to not grow much if at all.

I planned to switch to dosing 2-part instead within the next few weeks. Could I be overdosing kalk?
          BUILDING OUT:
          75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
          100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Let's back up. I don't think your zoanthids not opening are related to your water chemistry. It's likely something else. Here are a few thoughts:

Did you just do a water change?
            Have you looked for zoa parasites?
            Added any new zoanthids lately?
            Is it all zoas, or some?
            Is it in a certain area?
            Have you changed flow?
            Is there algae/diatom starting to grow on the closed zoas?
            Any new livestock that could be picking?
            Any neighboring leathers or others with strong chemical warfare?

Comment

Did you just do a water change? - 10% every weekend, Sunday was the last one.
              Have you looked for zoa parasites? - Yes, nothing found, but starting dips tonight anyways.
              Added any new zoanthids lately? - Not within the past month.
              Is it all zoas, or some? - Some.
              Is it in a certain area? - Random.
              Have you changed flow? - yes, three weeks ago changed from an always-on hydor powerhead to a jebao RW4 wavemaker. But some are closed in my frag tank where the flow has not changed.
              Is there algae/diatom starting to grow on the closed zoas? No.
              Any new livestock that could be picking? - No.
              Any neighboring leathers or others with strong chemical warfare? No, most are bordered by other zoas or nothing.
              BUILDING OUT:
              100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Are you thinking I should try and move them to a higher flow area? I've read that zoas may like that more.
                BUILDING OUT:
                100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Originally posted by mbeargie View Post
                  Are you thinking I should try and move them to a higher flow area? I've read that zoas may like that more.
                  Not necessarily. Just trying to eliminate other potential problems.

IME zoas can be weird. For years they can be fine and then one day they just start going down hill. Dipping might not be a bad idea.

Comment

I dipped everything that was closed today. We'll see how they do. I hit everything pretty good with a turkey baster in the dip and gave it a good look, but no pests to be found. I also switched out my carbon bag, and am doing an extra water change to get the nitrates down.

If that doesn't work I'll try moving things around in a few days to different spots. (higher flow, lower light, etc..)
                    BUILDING OUT:
                    100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Updates on the issue?

Corey

Comment

No change really. I've been moving things to try different lights and flow since a dip didn't show anything except pods.

I haven't done another chemistry panel yet, but I've doubled up my water change schedule and tested my RODI water and salt mix for nitrates to try and ID my nitrate issue.

I have plenty of other zoas though that are alive and healthy, so I'm hoping the change in scenery will be enough.

Thanks!
                        BUILDING OUT:
                        100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Originally posted by Hollback View Post
                          Not necessarily. Just trying to eliminate other potential problems.

IME zoas can be weird. For years they can be fine and then one day they just start going down hill. Dipping might not be a bad idea.
                          I agree with jason, I've had good luck with some for a long time and then all of a sudden start melting!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X