White slime bacteria/algea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White slime bacteria/algea

I have never felt such relief actually finding something on what caused me to get out of my last tank and what is plaguing my new tank.

I'm battling this:

Grows on LR, and Overflow, pretty much wherever light hits, it grows. It's unsightly and very frustrating. I originally thought it was due to bio-pellets (or carbon dosing in general) as I only encountered this after pellets were established. I still think it has something to do with it and have taken the pellets off line and went with only GFO. Yes, I was doing GFO and BP at the same time and I asked Aaron for his advice and he explained to me what could be the issue.

So, how to fix it? Nobody really knows (nobody, well maybe somebody) since it's a bacteria that could be driven by anything. Alcohol, room deodorizers, hands in tank etc all have been linked to this.

How am I going to combat it. Well, a user on RC posted this and I stumbled on it accidentally. Thank goodness I did. He's using a couple Dr.Tims products and has seen great improvements over the past couple weeks.

I'll shoot some tank shots and some close ups of what I'm battling and try to keep updates on here.

Am I the only one around here battling this bacteria? I hope so as I wouldn't wish this on any other reefer.

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/cont...-slime-part-ii

This is a three part article. This is part two where I found my issue.

You can find parts one and three by searching "white slime" in the search box.

Comment

Definitely from carbon dosing. I started getting it after some time of dosing vodka. Just stop the carbon and the bacteria will eventually go away.

Comment

Thank goodness. Do you suggest manual removal or will it go away on its own?

Comment

You can siphon it out. It will grow back until it uses up the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollback View Post
            You can siphon it out. It will grow back until it uses up the source.
            And the source would be the carbon dosing correct? I have since eliminated by BP reactor and went with GFO only.

Did a large water change (70%) and plan on another next week.

Comment

learn something new every day. I never dosed as having booze in my classroom did not seem like a good plan lol. But fine it all very interesting to learn from.

Comment

Correct. It will take some time to use up the excess carbon in your system Then the bactria will starve. If there is a ton, you can siphon it out but over the next few months it will pretty much disappear.

Comment

Can running a carbon reactor cause this? Or is that what you guys are referring to as dosing carbon.

Comment

Carbon sources. Like pellets, vodka sugar.

Comment

What's everyone's thoughts on flow through the sump? I'm thinking of dialing back my return pump to let my skimmer handle more of whats in the sump before pumping it back out.

Thoughts? Return pump is rated for 900 GPH with 1" return. Head loss calculator including estimation for my manifold is around 650 GPH.

Think closing my tru union valve down to 75% would help skimmer iteration time?

Comment

I forever always thought turning the water over as much as possible was best, but recently ive done a lot better doing what you said to give the skimmer more time. Before i didnt use prefilters or reactors, but now with socks and gfo and carbon i feel like less than a bagillion million flow is working better for me.

Comment

Here's a photo of what my LR currently looks like. I will say that it only affects the areas in which light hits. Also, the sides of the overflow are not affected by this either.

I actually hear carbon is good for this, the carbon you run through reactors. I do not currently run carbon, only GFO. Thinking of ditching GFO as I do 50% water changes weekly to help with the original carbon source.

Comment

Originally posted by milhous3er View Post
                            What's everyone's thoughts on flow through the sump? I'm thinking of dialing back my return pump to let my skimmer handle more of whats in the sump before pumping it back out.

Thoughts? Return pump is rated for 900 GPH with 1" return. Head loss calculator including estimation for my manifold is around 650 GPH.

Think closing my tru union valve down to 75% would help skimmer iteration time?

do you have the Aquatrance 2000 pump ? it is rated to draw 211 GPH.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyereefer View Post
                              do you have the Aquatrance 2000 pump ? it is rated to draw 211 GPH.
                              I'd have to look to see what pump I have. It was part of the tank when I got it. Yeah I know, shame on me...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X