Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Got a New RO/DI system!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just Got a New RO/DI system!

    This is such a novice post, but I'm pumped and I have to tell somebody! My RO system came in the mail today from Spectrapure, and I feel great because this means I'm a little closer to getting my tank wet. Baby steps. I'll start a build thread as soon as I can find a camera (can't buy one b/c I need all the spare dough for live rock ). Thanks for letting me gush.

  • #2
    I feel what your stepping in....
    AS

    Comment


    • #3
      NICE! It's a step for sure. I know I was happy when I got mine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice!

        I'm planning on getting a RO/DI system on Black Friday. Just not sure what to get.

        Comment


        • #5
          Do you have questions we can help you with?

          Russ
          RODI Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com Info@BuckeyeHydro.com
          Dosing & Booster Pumps, 2-part additives, Salifert products, Solenoids, Phosphate Remover, Bulkheads, filter socks...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Buckeye Hydro View Post
            Do you have questions we can help you with?

            Russ
            I live in an apartment, so I will need something "portable," ie it doesn't need to be permanently installed and I can reversibly hook it in to my pipes. To give you an idea of my water needs I have three tanks: a 24g display, an 8g display, and a roughly 12g frag tank. I try to do weekly water changes, but I won't lie, sometimes it is every other week. The city water system here uses chlorine to treat the water. I'm kinda overwhelmed with choices when I look at RODI units, so am at a loss which to pick.

            Comment


            • #7
              With just chlorine (not chloramines) in your water, a 4 stage system is the way to go[/URL]: Sediment, carbon, RO, DI.

              You could use a faucet adapter kit to hook into your plumbing, or an undersink shutoff valve.

              I'd go for a 75 gpd system. Plan on running it at least once a week.

              Russ
              Last edited by Zeppelin; 11-18-2014, 06:05 PM.
              RODI Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com Info@BuckeyeHydro.com
              Dosing & Booster Pumps, 2-part additives, Salifert products, Solenoids, Phosphate Remover, Bulkheads, filter socks...

              Comment


              • #8
                Get one of those large Rubbermaid trash cans and an auto shutoff float valve. That has saved my basement flooring many times.

                Comment


                • #9
                  A rubbermaid "Brute." This is a good approach, as long as you have it configured such that the RODI system doesn't short-cycle (frequently kick on for short periods). Don't forget about TDS Creep.

                  Russ
                  RODI Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com Info@BuckeyeHydro.com
                  Dosing & Booster Pumps, 2-part additives, Salifert products, Solenoids, Phosphate Remover, Bulkheads, filter socks...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mirya View Post
                    I live in an apartment, so I will need something "portable," ie it doesn't need to be permanently installed and I can reversibly hook it in to my pipes. To give you an idea of my water needs I have three tanks: a 24g display, an 8g display, and a roughly 12g frag tank. I try to do weekly water changes, but I won't lie, sometimes it is every other week. The city water system here uses chlorine to treat the water. I'm kinda overwhelmed with choices when I look at RODI units, so am at a loss which to pick.
                    Here is the one I use, Works great. I don't know if Buckeye has this one.
                    http://www.marinedepot.com/Standard_...RARP-4-vi.html
                    Bill

                    "consider these truths humans only love what they know and people do not destroy what they love." Robert M. Fenner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks Buckeye Hydro for the advice! I normally start to read the specs on RO/DI units ("quintuple deionization filters!") and my eyes glaze over.

                      Is is relatively simple to upgrade a RO/DI unit in the future if I move to an area with chloramines?

                      Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Get one of those large Rubbermaid trash cans and an auto shutoff float valve. That has saved my basement flooring many times.
                      Alas, this isn't an option. I don't have a basement, I'm in an apartment. There is no space in my bathroom or kitchen to keep a Brute container. I envision hooking up the RODI unit on an as needed basis an making water in 5-10 gallon batches.

                      I dream of some day owning a house and having a fish room!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey Mirya, you should search for posts by AZDesertRat on Nano-Reef.com He is a water treatment specialist that has a lot to say about RO/DI units. I actually sent him a PM, to which he sent me a long reply with a ton of helpful info.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Spenseriana View Post
                          Hey Mirya, you should search for posts by AZDesertRat on Nano-Reef.com He is a water treatment specialist that has a lot to say about RO/DI units. I actually sent him a PM, to which he sent me a long reply with a ton of helpful info.
                          Hmm.
                          RODI Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com Info@BuckeyeHydro.com
                          Dosing & Booster Pumps, 2-part additives, Salifert products, Solenoids, Phosphate Remover, Bulkheads, filter socks...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mirya View Post
                            Thanks Buckeye Hydro for the advice! I normally start to read the specs on RO/DI units ("quintuple deionization filters!") and my eyes glaze over.

                            Is is relatively simple to upgrade a RO/DI unit in the future if I move to an area with chloramines?
                            Yes, it is. It's just a matter of an add on housing a special carbon block. No big deal at all.

                            Feel free to call if you want to walk through what you need. If you can tell me a little about your situation I can take it from there.

                            Russ
                            RODI Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com Info@BuckeyeHydro.com
                            Dosing & Booster Pumps, 2-part additives, Salifert products, Solenoids, Phosphate Remover, Bulkheads, filter socks...

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X