magnesium mix diy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnesium mix diy

Those of you doing your own mixing of magnesium for your mag supplement, I know that epsom salts are used for the mag. sulfate part of the mix and is easy enough to find, but what about the mag. chloride part?
    I'm talking about locally, not from bulk reef supply

Got mine at ace hardware. Just follow Randys recipe but start slow and test often at first. LIke Alk and Calcium.

This is my reef tank
    There are many like it
    But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

I'm assuming since your using Randy's recipe that your using epsom salt and the magnesium chloride from true value, do you have any issue with sediment in you're container? Are you mixing seperatly and then combining the two together? Are you using the 5 cups mag chloride to 3 cups epsom salts formula? I mixed a batch up and ended up with about a 1/2" of sediment on the bottom of the container. Tried shaking it up everyday for the past week and even heating it up and cant seem to get it dissolved.

Comment

Comment

Hmm. That's alot more than I have.
          I follow this but use the Safestep. I also heat the rodi water and disolve them separately, then combine them for 1 gallon. I get a small amount of brown impurities that I then just filter through a coffee filter although I've read it's no big deal to leave it.

Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate sold by the Dead Sea Works company (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.
          This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.
          The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium, 70,000 ppm sulfate and 86,000 ppm chloride.
          This is my reef tank
          There are many like it
          But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

I mixed up a new batch and mixed seperately, and that was is the key I believe to the problem of the residue in the bottom of the container. Both mixed easily seperately and combined together there was 0 residue and crystal clear.

Comment

Nice. I'll have to try that next time.

Comment

Awesome. The worst I've had is a small amount of impurities settling in the bottom. Glad it worked for ya.
                This is my reef tank
                There are many like it
                But this one is mine

Comment

Working...
                X