night and day ph swings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• night and day ph swings

What's every ones swing in ph from night to day? Mine goes fro. 8 in the day to 7.6 at night.

that's about what I got too. 8 to 7.6
    Lindsey

Comment

Cool! Lol I was hoping that was or us about what others were getting. Is there a way to keep it more stable or is that about the average swing from day to night

Comment

Hmm. I'm a bit higher: I'm pretty consistent between 8.2 and 8.

Comment

I got from 9 to 8 in my 20L.

Comment

This is good! I was wondering if everyone's was jumping around the same amount as mine

Comment

yep mine runs 8 in am and 8.2 evening. I think that is pretty much normal.

Comment

For what it's worth, I do run a reverse lighting schedule at night on my sump, but after borrowing the PAR meter, I realized at about 5 feet away from the water, I was getting barely nominal PAR values in the sump (two 36" T5s). I'm going to try to move it down this week, and add two 48" White T5s I use for my veggies in the spring. I'll let you guys know if that makes any difference when this happens.

Comment

My tank swings from 7.9 at night to 8.1 during the day. I would say pH swings are normal, due to the corals and algaes being able to photosynthesize during the day but not at night time. Swings can be minimized by dosing alk/kalk at night only, or having a reverse lit refugium, although it would need to be a decent size to make much of an impact.

Comment

Totally normal Bill, nothing to worry about.

The real reef is dynamic, not at all static, and pH swings are just part of that change along with temps, salinity all these can swing daily on a reef.

I think a little variance can make our animals more resilient.

Comment

Working...
                    X