Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Temp

Hey guys,

I been using just a cheap mercury thermo to watch my temp, bought a temp probe to add to my reefkeeper lite and its showing several degrees above the cheap thermo you get from a pet store. guessing I should trust the rkl one. for the most part its reading 80.1 and depending on how hot it is in my house it swings up to 82 and some change. Everything seems to be doing just fine. Was just curious what everyone else keeps their temps at.

This may be the case, but always re calibrate the probe before you change anything. I keep mine at a high of 80 and a low of 77
    Lindsey

Comment

how do you calibrate a temp probe? Anyone know how accurate the glass ones you get from the pet stores really are because that's what I am comparing the rkl one to

Comment

I agree, I wouldn't necessarily assume the pricey one is correct. I would go to the fish store and look at a bunch of different thermometers. If they are all pretty much the same temp in the box, I would feel comfortable assuming they are correct. Grab one of those and take it home and compare it to what you are using.

Are you using an Apex? Mr. Saltwater Tank has a video on how to dial in the pH probe, so I assume the temp one is similar. I'm not sure you really /need/ a probe unless you are using or planning on getting an Apex, because most of the time they are used in that type of setup to shut off the heater, turn on a cooler, etc.

Comment

Using a reef keeper lite, mainly wanted to just watch my temp easily during the summer months. Just bought my house in December and when I went to the attic squirrels tore up my duct work for my central air. By next summer ill have that fixed and wont have to worry as much as I do now about my temp rising.

Comment

There should be instructions on DA site for calibrating the probe.
            Lindsey

Comment

i look at things like your temp reading as an indicator. any device we use can be off. it is more important that the readings remain constant versus being exact. a probe can be off, and the mercury ones are only as exact as the scale that is painted on them at some factory. what i feel is more important is that if your tank is a reading of 78 that it remains steady more than if that 78 reading is dead on.

Comment

Yeah, even if you go to the doctor, your temperature will vary by a degree or two each time they take your temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                  Yeah, even if you go to the doctor, your temperature will vary by a degree or two each time they take your temp.
                  Also depends on where thay take it...Ouch.LOL

You need a quality measuring device to compare the RK value to.
                  Bill
                  Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

I keep my tank between 77 & 78.5 using an Apex with a shutdown temp of 81. I would defiantly have some type of controller on your heaters. Typically if a heater fails they fail in the on position, with some type of controller it gives you some security if the temp get above 81+ it will shut down the heater that is stuck on.

Comment

^ what he said. Welcome to Cora rhardman
                      This is my reef tank
                      There are many like it
                      But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

Regarding the commands, you might want to add an "If Temp < 70.0 then OFF" statement in there. The thinking is that when a temp probe fails, it usually gives an abnormally low reading. Without that additional statement, the heater will turn on due to the failed temp probe even if your tank temp is OK.
                        This is my reef tank
                        There are many like it
                        But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

Working...
                        X