calcium 2 part

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calcium 2 part

Where do you get yours from? Bulk reef supply or do you buy it from somewhere else?
    I would like to get a couple gallons or so.

Lowes or ace hardware. Prestone driveway heat

Comment

What?

Comment

+1 on the Prestone. There are other snow melts that work as well for calcium and mag. Just research to see if its reef safe.
        @ Reefswagg. This might help
        http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/
        This is my reef tank
        There are many like it
        But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php this is a great read.
          155 gallon bowfront dt, 100 gallon basement sump, 20 gallon long fuge, reeflo hammerhead, Auqua Euro 250

Comment

whoops didnt see you already posted it.lol
            155 gallon bowfront dt, 100 gallon basement sump, 20 gallon long fuge, reeflo hammerhead, Auqua Euro 250

Comment

i don't really have to dose calcium and i have bought my 2 part from Bulk reef supply.if i every need it again see what are Sponsors have on hand.

Comment

Thanks, I was wondering if anyone was using the ice melters for there calcium solution.
                Since adding more sps and lps over the past few months I can see I'm gonna neeed to stock up a bit and and was trying to find the most cost effective solution.
                Also those using Randy's recipe, are you using recipe 1 or 2?
                Do you add yours in equal amounts as he recommends?
                Last edited by Sohaltang; 03-27-2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

the different recipes depend on your ph i believe. i use a doser and to keep my alk and calc where i want them it def is not equal.

Comment

Ah, thanks for the link! I'll check it out

Comment

Originally posted by Tick1962 View Post
                      the different recipes depend on your ph i believe. i use a doser and to keep my alk and calc where i want them it def is not equal.
                      Yeah I use a doser also, and mine is not equal either, I used to use alot more alk before I aquired more sps and acans, now i'm using more cal than alk.

Comment

<- recipe 1, three part, bubble magus doser

I've been using RHF's cocktails since about 2003 or 2004 when he published the formula. A bag of DowFlake can last you years if properly stored.

Recently, when I came back to reefing I found the three part solution but was struggling to find magnesium chloride hexahydrate. I stumbled across it on the shelf at Phishy's. I believe they have prepackaged monohydrate calcium chloride as well. Previously I had dosed epsom salts occasionally and hid the sulfate problems with water changes.

Comment

I use safe step 8300 for magnesium on 3 part
                          This is my reef tank
                          There are many like it
                          But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

Hey Tom, where did you get the bag of dowflake from? Here local?
                            What about your soda ash? Regular arm n hammer?

Comment

Thx for the Safe Step recommendation. That was a name brand I've not heard of.

The Dowflake I got at a tractor supply company about 7-8 years ago. Fifty pounds of this stuff is a lot. I have a bunch here if you want some to try the recipe.

For BS I do use Arm and Hammer, but I always bake (Sodium Carbonate vs Sodium BiCarbonate) it to control pH.

Comment

Working...
                              X