95% water changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95% water changes

i seen this and i'm not sure how the fishes and corals are alive and happy or how it would not put your tank back in to a cycle.just thought i would see what everyone else thought was on this

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/05/21/f...lems-95-water/

I think there would be enough beneficial bacteria on the rocks, sand, glass etc. to prevent a cycle. The key is that the new water you use is in better shape than the water you are removing.
    I'm a big proponent of water changes, nothing will cure what ails your reef like a nice big water change. But 95% all at once is just not practical, for me anyway. I have one of the 50 gallon brutes and if I were to empty the whole thing, when you account for the volume of the sump that would still only be a 30% water change. If I had 2 brutes and emptied them both that would still only be 60% change. So I like the idea and think it would be beneficial to some neglected tanks I just don't see it as a practical option. At least not for a larger tank.

Comment

i just always thought you could not do no more then 50% or 60% water change or bad thing would happen to your tank.your right that is a lot of water to have on hand at one time for a water change.i'm guessing the 95% would be monthly or every other month thing.i do weekly water changes just because if not i would forget to do them at all.just to ask how big of a water change do you do? i do 10% every week sometimes 15%

Comment

I've done it before way back when. I've also done it to frag a colony that was down near the middle of the tank. The only coral that was affected negatively from what I could tell was a seriatopora.

Comment

I do a 25% change weekly, not hard when my tank was only 20 gal, I don't think there's be an issue with doing large amounts, there are people with <1gal pico-reefs that do 100% changes, the key would be to keep parameters between the new and old water very close(temp/salinity)

Comment

Originally posted by Porky View Post
            I think there would be enough beneficial bacteria on the rocks, sand, glass etc. to prevent a cycle. The key is that the new water you use is in better shape than the water you are removing.
            I'm a big proponent of water changes, nothing will cure what ails your reef like a nice big water change. But 95% all at once is just not practical, for me anyway. I have one of the 50 gallon brutes and if I were to empty the whole thing, when you account for the volume of the sump that would still only be a 30% water change. If I had 2 brutes and emptied them both that would still only be 60% change. So I like the idea and think it would be beneficial to some neglected tanks I just don't see it as a practical option. At least not for a larger tank.
            ^^^^
            The benificial bacteria is maimly in the rocks. Not free swimming. i am a big believer in large water changes as well. I do a WC every weekend. Normally i do about 25-30%. But on every third week i di a 50-60%. everything always looks better after the larger WC
            John

Comment

it good to know someone has done this before.it good to know if you would have to do something like this it is safe if you have better water going in then you took out and your parameters are the same.i know most corals can be out of water longer then you might think and still be ok.i'm guessing your clams and Anemones would not be to happy.i might try it on my 34 gallon tank first to see what happen.no time soon.

Comment

to me this is a "do it or die" last ditch effort. I like what I saw from doing a big water change (about 50 or so %) but I would be into the 5th box of salt to do a change that size and need a couple extra brute cans too lol

I tried that massive change a couple of months back and have since only swept up the goo on the bottom with about a trash can sized change to get that done

We have to do a good sized change this week as there is more acculumation and the mineral values are fadding a little. (Our recators are set pretty low to avoid over doing things and will need to be adjusted when I have time over the summer )

its great that people continue to push and experiment to find out what the real best practice in water changes is though and I will be keeping an eye on thier findings if more is ever posted regarding that

Comment

Originally posted by lowscooby76 View Post
                  how big of a water change do you do?
                  I do about 40 gallons at a time, and usually once a week, sometimes I get busy this time of year and only do them every other week. On ~165 gallon total water volume that's only ~24%.
                  But I also run Polyfilters.
                  And carbon.
                  And ferrous oxide.
                  And yes I'm paranoid

Comment

Originally posted by Porky View Post
                    I do about 40 gallons at a time, and usually once a week, sometimes I get busy this time of year and only do them every other week. On ~165 gallon total water volume that's only ~24%.
                    But I also run Polyfilters.
                    And carbon.
                    And ferrous oxide.
                    And yes I'm paranoid
                    so i could bump up how much water i change to about 20% a week if i would want to and in the long run my tank would be happier.i had a little set back i'm just trying to understand somethings again.the 95% water change thing has me Thinking and i'm just trying to work things out so i understand them again and not have to go off my notes for when i have set backs and i forget most of what i did know. your paranoid would that be black sabbath

Comment

I did 75% water changes on my 20 every other day until I got a hair algae problem under control. About a month. The only thing I lost was a clam that an anemone decided to try to eat.

Comment

Todd at Reef Systems always does a 100% water change on the 60 gallon cube next to the check out counter because of the high bio load on the system.
                        If you ever make it out there he will be able to give you a lot of answers .

Comment

Originally posted by lowscooby76 View Post
                          your paranoid would that be black sabbath

Comment

Originally posted by Radicaltimes View Post
                            Todd at Reef Systems always does a 100% water change on the 60 gallon cube next to the check out counter because of the high bio load on the system.
                            If you ever make it out there he will be able to give you a lot of answers .
                            He suggested I do same since I have high calcium issue, and I am not dosing any at all. I just did the fish flapping around major change on my 125 yesterday. We will see how it goes

Comment

biggest thing that shocks corals is if you change completely different water parameters that largely. so if temperature and cal alk etc. the same should be fine. i do it once a year and then smaller ones throughout

Comment

Working...
                              X