curing rock issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curing rock issue?

I have been curing dry rock(since the beginning of Jan) that I was planning on using in my refugium. I had a couple pieces of live rock that are in the mix to help along with curing. My issue is.....the rocks are starting to look orange(rust) color where the light is exposed to them. Is this normal or is it a problem? If it is an issue how can this be fixed? Thanks!

It is perfectly normal for there to be color changes.

Make sure you have plenty of flow and you are doing water changes though.

Comment

I have a couple pumps running, but have been lazy on water changes. Ill do a water change. Would it be a good ideasize to use a skimmer?

Comment

Sounds like you got some lace rock? If so it could possible be some iron in the rock since it's a terrestial rock rather calcified rock from the ocean. I don't have any experience with lace rock because of that so don't know if it causes issues or not. It could also be some sort of algea or something growing i=as well. Have you tried to brush it off?

Comment

It could just be diatoms. What are the parameters in the water where your rock is curing? You may just need to do a water change.

Comment

Might also consider a bag of Rowaphos

Comment

Ill need to check water parameters. Its Pukani for BRS. I tried to brush it off and its didn't come off.
              Its in a large container in the basement with VHO over it. If I could figure out how to post pictures from my phone I could post it.

Comment

Originally posted by bretcummings View Post
                Ill need to check water parameters. Its Pukani for BRS. I tried to brush it off and its didn't come off.
                Its in a large container in the basement with VHO over it. If I could figure out how to post pictures from my phone I could post it.
                Notorious for horrendously high phosphate levels that can take literally years or hundreds of dollars worth of conventional phosphate remover to get it all out. It's becoming more and more common to isolate it and treat with pool phosphate chemicals (lanthanum).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2049855
                -Eric

Comment

Originally posted by RokleM View Post
                  Notorious for horrendously high phosphate levels that can take literally years or hundreds of dollars worth of conventional phosphate remover to get it all out. It's becoming more and more common to isolate it and treat with pool phosphate chemicals (lanthanum).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2049855
                  I used Seaklear and it only took about a week to get phosphates down to near zero (within the error rate of the Hanna checker). It only takes a little bit of the stuff to do the job. I've got quite a bit left if you want to try it.
                  Vaughn

IM Fusion Nuvo 20G, Ghost Skimmer, Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex, Neptune Apex DOS, Gyre 130, Tunze 3155 ATO,

Comment

Well I finally was able to do a water change. Before I did a water change I checked the phosphates and it measured 2.0.

Comment

If it's still high after the water change I'd definitely dose some of the Seaklear phosphate remover. I just checked my phosphate levels after having my BRS rock in the tank for 3-4 days and it was 0.02. I even used the Seaklear on my fuge rock rubble from BRS just to be sure. Some folks have done a muriatic acid bath to dissolve the outer layer and then do the Seaklear.
                      Vaughn

IM Fusion Nuvo 20G, Ghost Skimmer, Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex, Neptune Apex DOS, Gyre 130, Tunze 3155 ATO,

Comment

If it's 2.0, that rock is going to have a TON of phosphates in it.
                        -Eric

Comment

Ok. The rock that has been curing(well I thought) is for my refugium. I have about 40-50lbs. I have my aquascaping done in my aquariums waiting for me to finish plumbing. SO if I were to do the Seaklear should I take rock out of aquariums and then use, or could I cure in the tanks? I spent alot of time setting up this scaping and im not sure I can recreate.

Comment

Better now than 5 months from now when it's full of algae IMO. And at 2.0 you will have a TON of it.
                            -Eric

Comment

True..Where can I get Seaklear in Columbus? I saw it is used for pools and spas. I live off Sawmill and I know there's some spa places around here.. FishNFun....I may be interested if you have some to spare.

Comment

Working...
                              X