X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ama168
    started a topic Gfo

Gfo

Anyone here run GFO in a phosphate reactor?
    What are your experience's with it?
    How much do you run per 100 gallons of tank?
    I'm just trying to get as much first hand info as possible before starting.

Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by ama168; 02-18-2012, 04:45 PM.

• ama168
    replied
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    Now I just need to get my funds in order.

Leave a comment:

• abrowning
    replied
    I always run GFO on my aquarium. My experience with it has been really good. For about a year, I wasn't messing with testing phosphates, and when I finally checked it, the levels were high. It's important that you lower levels slowly if they are elevated. Even though it's not a good thing to have, your corals get used to the high levels. If you suddenly drop it, you can cause some pretty drastic results. For this reason you'll want to take it slow at first if this is your first time using GFO. In my aquarium (55 gal), I believe the recommended dosage is about 1tsp/10 gal if I remember correctly. I started with just 4 tsp for a couple months, and then bumped up to the full dosage after that to lower the levels gradually.

At low phosphate levels, you won't need to change it too often, but if they are elevated, the GFO gets exhausted rather quickly. Under lower levels, you may only need to change it monthly. I use the Bulk Reef GFO. They also have a high capacity GFO that lasts longer. I run it in a BRS reactor, but any fluidized reactor will work as long as you can give the media a slight tumble. As with carbon, you'll want to give it a good rinse before using it to remove the fines. Another thing to note is that sometimes you will experience a slight alk dip when starting up GFO (maybe .25-.5 dKH) due to Iron Hydroxide formation on the media. Overall, using GFO is something I feel is highly beneficial, whether used alone or with other phosphate removers. Maybe a coincidence, but my 2 headed torch I had for about a year split into 4 heads almost immediately after I started using GFO. Sounds a little complicated, but it's really not that bad once you get the hang of it.

Also, when lowering phosphates, I've found the Hanna Phosphate checker to be extremely handy for monitoring the P04 levels.

Leave a comment:

• szwab
    replied
    I use it due to my heavy fish load. Alot depends on your tank in regards how much to use. Remember to take it down gradually. Just start with the directions on the product your using and test test test. You should see it going down. But don't forget depending on your tank the phosphates could be in your live rock thus it will leach out as you are removing it. It may seem like it's not working. Just keep testing. Flow in a reactor should be just enough to see the surface of the media to look like it's "floating". Too much flow and it will grind itself down and end up in your sump or display. Once it's under control and if your not over feeding you can usually use less than directed IMO.
    Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• ssgtgonzo
    replied
    I run it in my aquarium from time to time. I had got some from mark (szwab), and a second reactor from jerry (marinesniper) and it did a great job reducing my phosphates to undetectable levels. Once i got there, i stopped running it because i knew for a fact that it was overfeeding that caused the increase. I rely more heavily on strong macro growth to counteract high phosphates...as well as having a more strict feeding regimen.

As for how much...my main system is probably about 150-160 gallons...and i ran one tlf up almost to the top...you have to leave room for it to gently tumble at the top layer. When i got my second, i divided tge amount between the two. I am pretty sure the gfo maker will prescribe how much to use in any particular system.

So, it does work. A bit too well in my opinion, if i hadnt had my suspicions about my own habits...i might have thought that it caused my phosphates to remain low. It actually lowered mine so that i could start anew with better habits. For me it was like a mulligan...i got to try a more concerted effort to control phosphates.

Hope this helped, good luck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X