hanna phospate tester

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hanna phospate tester

I just bought a Hanna phosphate tester, its a bit fiddlely and gave me 2 different result...

0.23 and 0.18

Anyone got one and can give me some tips on making the test more consistent?

The precision on the tester is +-0.04 so you are actually within the range with your tests. I do have a few tips though.

Make a small mark at the top of your vial. I used a sharpee and put a dot just below the cap where I could see it with the cap on. Then make a mark on the white sleeve of the tester where you put in the vial. This makes sure you are putting the vial in the same position each test.

Make sure you wipe down the vial each time you put it in the tester. Fingerprints can mess up the results.

Comment

Make sure you get ALL the reagent out of the pack. Its ind a hard to do. Make sure there are no finger prints or moisture on the outside of the vials. I wipe them off with a paper towel.
      Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jh2pizza View Post
        Make sure you get ALL the reagent out of the pack. Its ind a hard to do. Make sure there are no finger prints or moisture on the outside of the vials. I wipe them off with a paper towel.
        +1 and your ro/di water to wash out the in side of the tube after each test.this help me out.

Comment

I have marked one vial as "B" for blank and the other vial as "T" for test. Fill them both from the same area of the tank and not from the surface as this is where all the waste is. I also cut the top off the reagent pack and pour the water from the "test" vial into the reagent pack till it's dissolved and then pour it back in the vial, then I push the button on the meter and put in the blank tube for a reading. Then when it 's ready I put in the test vial and start the time.
          I have been able to duplicate readings to within 0.01 doing it this way. I know that using a different vial for the "blank" and "test" is not perfect science but all you are looking for is a change in readings, whether it's going up or down. Using the same vials for each part each time will give you precision which is more important than accuracy for this test. Also doing it this way and not starting the blank reading till the reagent is dissolved the meter will not time out and you can get a better mix on the reagent. They need to use a better method for keeping the reagent so it's easier to add to the test vial.
          Last edited by sammie; 02-04-2012, 08:36 AM.
          Bill
          Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

I'm quite impressed with the new small unit having owned the big expensive one in the past. All the suggestions above are of value. Clean outside before reading the water and before reading the reagent (I polish it with a microfiber towel). Make sure the mix is thoroughly dissolved. Our water here is fantastic so I don't bother anymore, but when I was in Ohio I always rinsed with RO/DI. I've read that the ENTIRE packet isn't necessary, but do indeed use caution. Shake it like a sugar packet to get all the stuff to the bottom and tear off the entire top of the packet. I then create a fold at the middle point and use that to direct the powder into the vial. After the bulk is in, I make sure a bunch isn't stuck in the corners.
            -Eric

Comment

if you call them they will send lab grade water for calibration making a much more accurate baseline. Durring last years MACNA I remember they put out a video about working on this sensitivity glitch. The spokes person said accuracy is very importaint to them so they will continue to use lab grade which is almost impossible for us but they would be happy to send those with issues free lab grade RODI. Good luck

Comment

I like high tech aquarium stuff

I've got the large Milwaukee meter if you ever want to compare reading let me know.

Comment

I havent bit the bullet yet but i know its coming.
                  So those of you that do have them are they worth the money?
                  I see them for around 50 each anyone know of a better price?

Comment

i have the Hanna Alkalinity,Phosphate,Calcium and Nitrite Ultra Checkers. i like them i think they are easy to use and i will not be going back to the old way. they get a from me

Comment

They are 100% worth it! I used to use the Salifert P04 Kit and it was so difficult to read, the subtle shades of blue are hard to tell apart. Plus, it goes from .25 to 0 with no in between (which are the important values). The photometer leaves all the guesswork to the optical sensor. In my experience it is very accurate. As the OP shows, there will be some variance, but not much. Considering this meter is only about double the cost of Salifert, it was a no brainer for me. I have also heard excellent things about the alkalinity kit, the calcium one I have heard mixed reviews on.

As far as the OP's question, make sure all the reagent gets into the vial. Make sure to fill the water exactly to the line. Always use the same vial for the entire test, due to differences in transparency in the glass/smudges/etc (I'm pretty sure that's in their instructions though). I always wipe the vial with a dry rag to get off fingerprints, and always put in in with the 10ml facing the front, so that it's consistent. Hopefully all that will help, but I wouldn't worry too much about .05 off, it's close to the +/- .04 that they advertise.

Comment

Alk is fantastic too, and dead on with my old lamotte kits (which I am a big fan of since they are the only manufacture that is consistent between batches in my testing).
                        -Eric

Comment

Wasn't there a manufacturer whose reagents came in pressed form, like a pill? That'd be ideal, IMO.

Comment

Wow!! I just got the hanna tester and my phosphates are off the chart.
                            I knew they were high but dang..
                            I had been testing with other kits and they never showed this high.

I have some work to do.
                            Bill

"consider these truths humans only love what they know and people do not destroy what they love." Robert M. Fenner

Comment

i think were planning on having one of the tester at the march meeting

Comment

Working...
                              X