Emergency 911 help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency 911 help!

I just did a water changed and used all of my to water on hand. Right afterwards, my young daughter turned on my pump that doses alk and dumped about 100 ml of alk two part into my tank and raised Dkh from 11.5 to 18.5. I have no more water to do another change tonight. Will my tank make it through the night or should I use tap water for a change to drop the Dkh down to normal levels. In the long term I obviously need to move the timer so this doesn't happen in the future.

DKH 17 after 20 minutes

I just retested about 20 minutes after the initial dose and it has had more time to circulate and dkh is 17. No thoughts?

Comment

Wow... Well I don't know what the long term effects of the high Dkh will do, but if you use tap water the long term effects of the phosphate nightmare will suck just about as bad not to mention the chlorine and/or other presents from the water treatment plant.

What is your PH right now? That will be a driving factor.

Comment

PH is normally 7.9 and right now it is at 8.3.

Comment

That doesn't seem to bad.. With the huge dose of Dkh the spike in PH is (from what I understand) the biggest concern in the short term.

How are your corals responding?

Comment

I agree long term use of tap water is not good. I was just thinking a one time use of 10 gallons would drop my DKH to just over 12. Or I can wait until 9 tomorrow morning and get RO water but it would have to be heated first. So total time at 17 dkh would be about 15 hours I'd guess. Or tap water being diluted into my system for god knows how long....but if it kills all of my coral being that high for that long I'd rather deal with whatever comes from the tap water.

Comment

As of right now there seems to be no affects at all. Temp and SG were matched so they are all just as vibrant and "out" as they normally are.

Comment

I had a similar experience and there were no issues. I'm sure it would be bad to keep it there but it'll come down pretty quick with no ill effects, imo. I have about 100g of ro/di water on hand, if you really want to do something immediately
                Apex
                135 Reef/Geo Beckett Skimmer/45g Geo Sump/Fuge
                115g Nps/Avast Black Pearl/29g Sump/Fuge
                450g Basement Sump in Slow Progress

Comment

Well sniper that makes me feel much better. I will wait until morning and see how they look. If there are any signs of stress I'll do a large WC otherwise I'll just ride the storm I guess. Thanks for your replys guys I really appreciate it. I wish I had the space for 100G on hand that would be oh so nice.

Comment

I have another 40 in SW mixed...a bit of overkill, in preparedness!

When this happened to me, my Salifert test took the whole syringe and didn't even blink from pink so it was well north of 15.7. I have a TON of corals in there and some even seemed to like it. I wouldn't worry, I believe everything will be fine. Don't lose any sleep over it...I did that for you when it happened to me!
                    Apex
                    135 Reef/Geo Beckett Skimmer/45g Geo Sump/Fuge
                    115g Nps/Avast Black Pearl/29g Sump/Fuge
                    450g Basement Sump in Slow Progress

Comment

Ok thanks!

Comment

*correction**Add a ml or so of vinegar if your ph is out of whack (over 9.0) will drop your alk and not effect your tank. Before I say add, how big is your tank? You may incur a snow storm here in a bit. If it happens don't panick it will actually elp in bringing you back to normal levels. Club soda will help drop your alk level.
                        Last edited by szwab; 01-25-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Main thing is don't panic it's not going to crash your tank. Correcting too quickly will actually be worse. Avoid big correction swings. Make sure you are oxegenating well and keep an eye on ph that IMO is more important than the alk level.

Comment

+1 don't over react it'll settle down in time, worse thing would be another big swing.

Comment

How was everything when you woke up this morning?

Comment

Working...
                              X