Acrylic drill bits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic drill bits?

Working on a new small project for the tank and will need to put some holes in some acrylic. Anyone have the right bits for this?

you can go by wood/plastic drill bits from lowes. Or even cheap hole saws from harbor freight work. Just make sure to put a layer of masking tape down on the acrylic first to avoid scratching. You may also want to grab a sanding sponge to smooth out the edges.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-2...-pc-69070.html
    BUILDING OUT:
    75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
    3x 50g acrylic frag tanks
    100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

oh, and go slow, like "pulse" the drill as you're cutting to keep it cool. It's more likely on thinner acrylic to warp it from heat, thicker acrylic of more than 3/8" is usually fine.
      BUILDING OUT:
      75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
      100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

I have all the typical drill bits and they've all just cracked the acrylic in the past. I'm going to be using thicker material 3/8 probably. But I'd prefer not to crack it as those sheets start getting expensive.

Comment

If you're cracking it then you're going too fast and pushing too hard. Or potentially you are using extruded acrylic which has a "grain" instead of cast acrylic which is higher quality.
          BUILDING OUT:
          100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Possibly, previously I was just using whatever I had found at home depot

Comment

You can take a file and reduce the angle on the end of the bit. So that it is "biting" less as it rotates. Otherwise I do a combination of in forward and drill in reverse when I feel the bit grab and before it goes through.
              Option 3 use a step bit.

Comment

Working...
              X