No announcement yet.

Anyone here dealt with dinos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not that I don't have coralline at all, it's just not as wide spread as I have had in previous tanks.

My basic understanding is the following.

If you have phosphates but no nitrates you'll get cyano
    If you have nitrates but no phosphates you'll get dinos
    If you have both nutrients available you'll grow algae

The theory is that cyano can grow in nitrate limited environments. Dinos can utilize available nitrates and absorb phosphates from other organisms. Algaes need both nutrients to grow but are more efficient at uptake than dinos or cyano. Being a calcifying organism coralline will naturally be inhibited in a phosphate rich environment.

Also in photo: one of the many isopods that call my tank home that has found a pellet. It was quite excited.

Comment

You definitely have a dilemma. just some ideas/thoughts Might try reducing the length of you overall photo period. bump up calcium a bit. Check your ph at night too. Is there a significant change?

Comment

Well I have some coralline......

corey

Comment

Originally posted by BIECAKA View Post
          Well I have some coralline......

corey
          Do you want to share?

Comment

Quick update. For the past few days it's looking like the dinos are almost completely gone. No trace of them in sand or on rocks. Steps I took was to get nutrients up. I'm right now at 10 ppm nitrate and .1 phosphate. I drastically increased the number of snails in the tank and I threw in more chaeto. Seems to be working, corals all appear happy and healthy.

Comment

Working...
            X