Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here dealt with dinos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I have been feeding heavily recently, I'll admit that. Mostly because I had been dealing with pale starving practically zero growth corals while showing very little nutrients in the water.

    Comment


    • #17
      If anyone is interested in stopping by and helping me out I'd be forever grateful.

      Comment


      • #18
        I took some more pictures, really difficult to get a good picture with camera phone. Full tank shot is on whites only.

        I blew off the rocks and everything when I got home and kept everything in suspension until it cleared up then changed the filter sock. I also relocated my larger power head to blast the rocks a bit better. Also killed the red and green channels on my lighting.

        Bad news is that the acro frag pictured earlier is lost. Now a pavona is seeing some ill effects. So far the acro, pavona, and psammacora are the only things displaying tissue loss. The euphyllia is a bit pissed off. Everything else so far is okay.
        Last edited by TurboMark; 12-13-2017, 07:02 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Well...

          Comment


          • #20
            Weird. I found this on R2R:

            If you have algae, you have phosphates. It's as simple as that. If you are not getting a reading on your test, that means the PO4 is being used up by the algae already or your test is not able to read your PO4 at a low level. Remember, our hobby grade test tests for inorganic PO4, PO4 that's freely floating in the water column. If won't catch organic PO4 at all. I would not even worry about testing for PO4. The readings you get are misleading.
            I don't know where he gets this info but this is what I also thought was the case. I can only really go off your photos and obviously something is off to be having a bloom like that in a 9 month old tank. Do you know what your nitrates are like? Here is how I look at it. If the TDS of your RO/DI is zero, and nothing is leaching, it has to be coming from a nutrient input vs output balance. Nutrients have been building over time and now a bloom is feeding on it. If you can solve the root problem, what's feeding it, the bloom will go away. Again, this is all me hypothesizing without seeing your tank.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Hollback View Post
              Weird. I found this on R2R:



              I don't know where he gets this info but this is what I also thought was the case. I can only really go off your photos and obviously something is off to be having a bloom like that in a 9 month old tank. Do you know what your nitrates are like? Here is how I look at it. If the TDS of your RO/DI is zero, and nothing is leaching, it has to be coming from a nutrient input vs output balance. Nutrients have been building over time and now a bloom is feeding on it. If you can solve the root problem, what's feeding it, the bloom will go away. Again, this is all me hypothesizing without seeing your tank.

              ​​​​​​Yeah I'm under similar understanding that if you feed anything to your tank you have phosphates. Apparently mine are just aggressively being taken up by something, and in my case it's not gfo or algae.

              Nitrates hold steady at 2.5 ppm. But I had to dose potassium nitrate to get there even. Was reading a solid zero for a long time and had poor coral growth and coloration.

              If you're ever out by rivers to reefs I live 5 minutes from there. If you want to swing by I'd love a second set of eyes on the tank.

              Comment


              • #22
                on a side note, isnt it ironic when people say 'test your water' then they say 'well the algae uses it up faster than you can test for it' well than why did you tell me to test in the first place. lol

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by GrizzlyMint View Post
                  on a side note, isnt it ironic when people say 'test your water' then they say 'well the algae uses it up faster than you can test for it' well than why did you tell me to test in the first place. lol
                  Got anything constructive to add?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Hollback View Post

                    Got anything constructive to add?
                    He did say it was a side note...

                    So as an update. It's been confirmed under microscope that it's dinos. I'm pretty sure I have the non toxic kind though. So far I've had no impact to my snail population and my blenny has been munching on the stuff for weeks without any negative side effects. The dinos disappear at night and return during daytime hours. I've been dosing phosphates to try to encourage algae growth in order to provide competition to the dinos. If anyone has a uv sterilizer that I can borrow that might be useful as well.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I think it is also interesting as grizzly pointed out, however it is important to see if there is any reading or not. But it is frustrating testing 0 only to be told the algae is using it, that's why you got 0 on your test.

                      Are you dosing anything? I used to dose vodka vinaigrette mix, homemade version of NoPox and it kept my numbers in check for the most part. In fact drove them low and I eventually stopped the dosing all together,

                      corey

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Not to offend anyone but I've always felt that the algae vs phosphate argument has been to rationalize/explain algae problems. To me logically it just doesn't make sense. Really our whole goal is to create balance and an environment that the more complicated organisms can out compete the simpler ones. I'm also a firm believer there s no one way what works for me may not work for the next guy.
                        Looking from a different angle what are your calcium, magnesium and alkalinity levels at? The magic three IMO need to be in balance. When you say coralline isn't growing I suspect those may need tweaking.
                        Also what lighting do you have on the tank and what's the photoperiod?
                        Also tank turn over and flow inside a tank to me are 2 separate and very different things Are you moving corals around or pretty much place them and leave em?
                        Sounds like a dumb question but do you use hand lotion?
                        Ever notice the bicolor nipping at corals? They will sps if you happen to be unlucky

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Hey one more thing saw you feed Rod's. Rods has a lot of small particles that don't get eaten. Just by it's makeup has the potential to add to the detritus load in the tank. With as few fish and types you have would be easier to over feed than under feed IMO.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by BIECAKA View Post
                            I think it is also interesting as grizzly pointed out, however it is important to see if there is any reading or not. But it is frustrating testing 0 only to be told the algae is using it, that's why you got 0 on your test.

                            Are you dosing anything? I used to dose vodka vinaigrette mix, homemade version of NoPox and it kept my numbers in check for the most part. In fact drove them low and I eventually stopped the dosing all together,

                            corey
                            At one point I dosed vinegar, when the tank was new I dealt with really high nitrates. But I haven't dosed anything since probably July or August.
                            ​​​​​​

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by szwab View Post
                              Not to offend anyone but I've always felt that the algae vs phosphate argument has been to rationalize/explain algae problems. To me logically it just doesn't make sense. Really our whole goal is to create balance and an environment that the more complicated organisms can out compete the simpler ones. I'm also a firm believer there s no one way what works for me may not work for the next guy.
                              Looking from a different angle what are your calcium, magnesium and alkalinity levels at? The magic three IMO need to be in balance. When you say coralline isn't growing I suspect those may need tweaking.
                              Also what lighting do you have on the tank and what's the photoperiod?
                              Also tank turn over and flow inside a tank to me are 2 separate and very different things Are you moving corals around or pretty much place them and leave em?
                              Sounds like a dumb question but do you use hand lotion?
                              Ever notice the bicolor nipping at corals? They will sps if you happen to be unlucky
                              I 100% agree with you on the balance issue. Which explains a number of things I've dealt with. When I had no nutrients I experienced low growth and poor health for a number of more challenging corals. When I tried to increase nutrients through dosing nitrate it completely drove my phosphates to zero and I opened myself up to dinos. For the past week I've been dosing both nitrates and phosphates, some interesting things have happened. First it appears that dinos are receding a bit. At least not as bad as before. Second, my alk measurements started increasing. I was holding steady around 8.7 and over the past week this has risen to 9 or so without any increase in dosing, actually I've been reducing to try to hold it steady. I tested ph today and my tank ph was increased to 8 from 7.7 that it has always been. This is the highest I've ever seen the ph.

                              ​​​​​​​To answer your questions. Alk call mag: typically 8.7 430 1340. Today alk was at 9.1 cal 420. Lighting is led, 12 hour photoperiod with 7 hours peak. Only peaking blues at 50% (reef breeders fixture). I'm only moving corals if they look to be needing more or less light. If you're speaking of turnover as flow through sump it's pretty healthy. Don't use lotion. If I suspect anything on my hands I use those coralife reef gloves. Blenny pokes at things occasionally but doesn't do any damage.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I was just reading that reefs with higher than average available 'nutrients' have more macro algaes and less coralline. so maybe there is some cross over to be taken to ouir tanks. they say for the most part the corals are fine in this environment with slightly slower calcification.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X