Anyone here dealt with dinos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here dealt with dinos?

I'm a bit concerned that what I initially thought was cyano on my tank might in fact be dinos. Stringey brown algae that has been growing on some of my corals, especially a pc rainbow acro, and more recently a psammocora. Has anyone dealt with this before with any success?
    Last edited by TurboMark; 12-12-2017, 07:41 PM.

Checked tank this morning before lights on, no dinos to be found, obviously going pelagic at night. Unfortunately the pc rainbow that was suffering the most from this crap looks like it has bleached completely. It'll be a miracle if it recovers.

Picture is from last night before lights out.

Comment

syphon them out, do more maintenance on water and eventually whatever they're feeding on will run out. and if you remove as much of it as you can it wont be released back in water when they die. Thats at least how I get rid of any out break I get.

Comment

I've been trying that, performed multiple water changes. By all measures my water quality is near perfect if not too sterile. They come back every day by 2 pm. Based on what I've read recently it seems that my tank might be phosphate limited (I've never been able to get a reading above absolutely zero) , I can't grow macro algae nearly at all, coralline growth has been limited, and even problem algae just don't grow in my system. The theory is that once phosphates are added back to the system then normal algae can uptake nutrients and eventually out-compete the dinos which can flourish in systems with only trace elements and light.

Has anyone had any experience with this method of thinking? Any opinions?
        Last edited by TurboMark; 12-13-2017, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Never heard that theory, I've always strived to minimize phosphates and I grow coralline like crazy. Phosphates can inhibit calcification, which is not good for coralline or corals.

Have you tried increasing flow?

Comment

Flow isn't a problem, I'm turning over at roughly 50x dt volume. The theory is covered on the 180 page thread stickied on reef2reef. I've never had to strive for low phosphates. It's always been zero. Excessive phosphates can inhibit calcification, but not having any phosphates at all can be just as dangerous.

Comment

If you're adding anything (like food) to your system you have organic phosphates. Are you using a spectrometer or titration test kit?

I don't think a lack of phosphates is your issue with the bloom. Based on your photo, I'd lean more towards cyano with the oxygen bubbles forming. The acro you posted looks mostly dead. If it is dinos, have you tried the 3 day total black out? How long has your tank been setup? How about your source water? Hi silicates will most certainly cause blooms like this.

Comment

A few more questions:
                What size is your tank?
                How long has it been setup?
                What is your feeding schedule like? What kind of food and how often?
                What fish do you have?
                What is the TDS of your RO/DI output?
                Does this stuff accumulate where the flow is high?
                If you mess with it, does it come off in clumps or just disintegrate?
                Can you post a full tank shot?
                Do you run carbon or GFO?
                Last edited by Hollback; 12-13-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Titration kit, spectrometer is on its way, but results were confirmed by ATI during the icp testing I had done, zero phosphates.
                  I performed the h2o2 test with a sample of the suspected dinos and that seemed to confirm it isn't cyano. And yes the acro is a goner, was never healthy even when I first got it, and the dinos took hold and finished it off last night. Other healthy acros (including the ones I got from you last week) aren't getting the same growth on them. I've considered the 3 day blackout but multiple sources say that it doesn't remedy the problem, it comes right back after light is reintroduced.
                  Silicates could be the other possibility as my rodi water did test a bit high at 17.6 ug/L. But I thought that Silicates mostly cause diatom growth, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollback View Post
                    A few more questions:
                    What size is your tank? 40b 20l sump total volume 50 gllons
                    How long has it been setup? 9 months
                    What is your feeding schedule like? What kind of food and how often? Once a day on weekdays a couple smaller feedings per day on weekends. Rods food, formula 2 pellets
                    What fish do you have? 2 clowns, 2 springer damsels, bicolor blenny and a tiger sandsifter goby
                    What is the TDS of your RO/DI output? 0
                    Does this stuff accumulate where the flow is high? Yes, high and low.
                    If you mess with it, does it come off in clumps or just disintegrate? Disintegrates
                    Can you post a full tank shot? Will do when I get home
                    Do you run carbon or GFO? Carbon yes, GFO no.
                    Answers in quotation

Comment

Hmmm. Could be getting a zero phosphate reading because the bloom is using it up.
                      Yes, silicates would lead to diatom.
                      I believe raising the pH with kalkwasser has worked for some people with dinos.
                      I still think the underlying issue is excess nutrients. Based on your photo, something is way out of wack to have that much of a bloom covering your rock.

Comment

Not a fts but some more specific pictures of the problem. (these have been retouched to reflect a more realistic look)

Comment

Hmmm. Could be getting a zero phosphate reading because the bloom is using it up.
                          I still think the underlying issue is excess nutrients. Based on your photo, something is way out of wack to have that much of a bloom covering your rock.
                          I was reading zero phosphates long before this issue took hold. Honestly I have no idea where my phosphates were going at that time. I've never had a positive phosphate reading in the tank.

Comment

Also, the dark patch on the rock is cyano, that's been there forever( it'd the kind that is firmly attached to the rock not the loose goopy stuff) the dinos are a separate and new thing. I'll get some better pics tonight and shoot them to you through text, the resolution here is difficult to use for diagnostics.

Comment

One thing that jumps out at me is your feeding. You are feeding almost three times as much food as I am and I have 10 fish and about 165 gallons of water. I suggest feeding a tiny bit, once a day, 3 days a week. I promise, your fish won't starve. Do that for a few weeks and see if it makes a change. Again, with the presence of dinos and cyano, I think you have excess nutrients and the amount of food you are adding is only compiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X