Filter bags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter bags

Looking to give filter bags a go on my system. Anyone have any passionate thoughts regarding them?

Also found a good price on filterbag.com but have to get 25 as a minimum order. Anyone want to split a 4x14 plastic ring polyester felt bag order

Any interest
    Or comments on your experience with using them?

Comment

I got a sweet deal off aliexpress, 25 filter socks for $45 shipped free. I can't find the vendor and they were only 4" though with the plastic ring preset.

I have had great luck with filter socks, with:
      -Making sure each sock runs no longer than 4 days (I usually do 4 days on starting right before my weekly water change, then 3 days off)
      -Run it on the drain line (duh, but really, best place for it)

That's about it, I rinse mine when I take them out, then soak them in a tote box with water and vinegar. Then when the wife's not home I run them through the washing machine on hot/hot/heavy duty/extra rinse two times. I finish it off with a RODI soak for a day and a PH test before drying them out. I know people just cringed about that washing machine bit, but no, I've never had any ill side effects that would be attributed to leftover soap.

For me, filter socks were a good way to cut down on food waste and particulate since my sump/refugium has very limited space. At the high point my nitrates were super high, like 60ppm. With the regular maintenance and socks, that's down to 5-10ppm for over a year and a half now. It also catches particulate very well since I have a wrasse that loves to fling my sand bed around.
      BUILDING OUT:
      75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
      3x 50g acrylic frag tanks
      100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Thanks for the tip now I just ave to wait on shipping lol
        Last edited by szwab; 11-27-2017, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Can't find the old vendor (common on aliexpress, as companies come and go daily).

This is the best deal I found today:
          https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-...832627139.html

$1.53 each, but they charge for shipping at more than 3 socks.
          BUILDING OUT:
          75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
          3x 50g acrylic frag tanks
          100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

did u already order them mark? im looking to put a sock on my drain. but rr only had 1. i need a bunch so i dont have yo clean them often. i like using them to catch extra food and blow off rockwork once a week also.

Comment

ive always washed my sock filters in the washing mach too mike with no problems to any system ive used them on

Comment

Sorry already ordered.

Comment

Working...
                X