Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reshaping live rock that already has corals on it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reshaping live rock that already has corals on it.

When I initially scaped my tank I wanted to go for the twin islands kind of look. I initially was happy with the look that I achieved, but now that I've been staring at it for a few months I don't really like the island I have on the right side of the tank.

The piece of rock is just too tall. I want to take the rock out and remove some off of the bottom so that it sits a few inches lower to allow for better growth and flow. The major issue is that there are already a number of corals and other life attached. The rock is home to a couple of acro frags, my bta, a couple of toadstools, and a couple heads of blasto.

If I pull it out of the tank for 10 minutes or so to whack it with a hammer am I going to cause issues?
    ​​​

Nope. It will be fine being out of the water for a while. I'd consider breaking it into more manageable pieces so you can create better shapes, instead of a single large chunk.

Comment

I kinda like the single rock as it provides a cave underneath, but I want to get it into more of a flat piece instead of a boulder

Comment

Agree with Jason the corals will be fine out of the water for you to reshape the rock.
        A chisel (or flat head screwdriver) and a hammer work well for rock reshaping.

Comment

I got the rock out, bashed it with a hammer for a bit. Anything living on the rock was in for a fun time. My bta is, I'm certain, scarred for life and at one point I found a snail that had fallen out of the rock crawling uo the leg of my workbench. One coral was accidentally dislodged. But all is well now.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Pics of the finished product?

Comment

I'll take pics when I get home but it looks about 90% the same but about an inch or two lower and a bit better surface for placement.

Comment

Comment

Sorry for the poor quality of pics old is on top. Not much of a change in the picture, but a big difference in real life.

Bta still hiding...

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X