New to Columbus, not so new to reef aquariums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Columbus, not so new to reef aquariums

I thought I'd introduce myself since I've been poking around on this site recently. I moved to Dublin from my life-long home town of Philadelphia last year and I've finally settled into a house. I can now slowly start my life as a reef keeper again! I've been without a tank for 2 years, having anticipated a career and house move was approaching. One of the hardest parts of moving was having to break down my 30g mixed reef tank that had been running for almost 7 years, but at least I've had plenty of time to rethink my approach to the hobby. The motto of my family over the past 18 months has been "Reduce and simplify!" so I just bought a JBJ 8 gallon AIO tank. I'm keeping this simple this time, I swear. Stock tank and lighting, no protein skimmer, weekly water changes only. Mushrooms, zoanthids, one or two small gobies, maybe a pair of peppermint shrimp. At least for the foreseeable future.

Looking forward to the frag swap even if my tank hasn't stabilized and I can't buy anything yet.

Cheers,

James

Nice James, welcome! I have a 10 gallon nano in my office similar to what you describe, with ATO and minus the fish.

Comment

Welcome to buckeye nation! Looking forward to some pictures of your setup. Some of the nicest reefs I've seen were nano reefs.
      500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

Comment

Welcome James, The frag swap is fun even if you can't buy anything. Fun way to meet some new people in the area. We are also doing our food meeting the 16th which should be a fun as well. Please start a build log. I love to see pictures of peoples aquariums
        -Travis-

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! I'll start posting some photos as soon as I have something more than a glass box with water. I'm starting out with dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply which I should have in a few days. I've had fun scaping with this product before. The pieces fit together well, you can build neat structures that seem very natural. Once I'm satisfied with the rock layout I can start trying to get some life going in the tank with some live sand or live rock rubble.

Looking forward to the frag swap!

Comment

Any suggestions on aquarium stores to visit in the Columbus area? The only place I've been to is Aquarium Adventure, which seems decent enough, but I'm always looking for places to check out on rainy days.

Comment

Two stores on the Far East side of Cbus that kick Aquarium Adventures *** are Rivers to Reef in Gahanna, http://www.riverstoreefsaquariums.com, Aaron and his crew are very knowledgeable and helpful plus his prices, selection and quality put AA to shame.
              Reef Systems Coral Farm is a bit further east in New Albany, www.reefsystems.com, is more coral oriented with a limited selection of fish. Todd is the owner and is a bit opinionated, to put it mildly, and can be off-putting at first, but he does know his stuff (and isn't afraid to tell you LOL)
              That's about all there is that I can recommend. There's always PETCO which has a really bad reputation with a few isolated stores as exceptions, Jack's Pets used to be OK but are being phased out and replaced by PetValue which is about on the same par as WalMart fish wise.

Welcome to the area!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by mmillerr View Post
                  Two stores on the Far East side of Cbus that kick Aquarium Adventures *** are Rivers to Reef in Gahanna, http://www.riverstoreefsaquariums.com, Aaron and his crew are very knowledgeable and helpful plus his prices, selection and quality put AA to shame.
                  Reef Systems Coral Farm is a bit further east in New Albany, www.reefsystems.com, is more coral oriented with a limited selection of fish. Todd is the owner and is a bit opinionated, to put it mildly, and can be off-putting at first, but he does know his stuff (and isn't afraid to tell you LOL)
                  That's about all there is that I can recommend. There's always PETCO which has a really bad reputation with a few isolated stores as exceptions, Jack's Pets used to be OK but are being phased out and replaced by PetValue which is about on the same par as WalMart fish wise.

Welcome to the area!

corey

Comment

Thanks for the store tips. Will probably check out Rivers to Reef this weekend. Checked out their website and it looks like my kind of place.

Comment

Hey, I don't know what you are doing Saturday night, but some of us are getting together to make some homemade reef food. Let me know if you want the details.

Comment

Sounds fun... and messy thanks for the invite but I'm busy that night unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                        X