Skimmer dilema

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skimmer dilema

So I have 2 skimmers and a 600ish gallon system. 1 is a MRC mr-4r recirculating beckett skimmer with a panworld 250ps rated for 1100 gallons. 2nd is a GEO made monster, 12" diameter 58" total height reeflo dart needlewheel powered recirculating skimmer rated at, who knows, swimming pool size? lol The mrc was broke in shipment by UPS but I managed to fix it and it has been running with zero issues (I wanted to test my weld on fix). So which would you use? I plan to sell the other since I won't need 2 monster skimmers. I bought the geo thinking the mrc wasn't savable but alas, it was. Both are AMAZING skimmers hence the dilemma, though really, not a bad dilemma to have I guess
    skimmers.jpg
    500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

that's a hard choice, I haven't used the MRC skimmers before but have heard nothing but good things about them. I love my GEO skimmer. I think they would both be good choices.
    -Travis-

Comment

If you have the space for the GEO, I'd go that way. Your Dart will run at a lower watt draw than the Pan World, just as a starting benefit. I loved my beckett that George built for me, but I think it would be hard to beat a giant needle wheel like that. Also, although MRC isn't nearly as bad about it as some, skimmer ratings do tend to be extremely "generous". If you are loading up that 600 gallon system and especially if you put anything big and messy in there, I think the olympic size GEO is the way to go.
      Rob
      90G DT on Hiatus...
      Nanobox Tide powered IM Fusion Nuvo 10 in recovery

Comment

Go with the Geo.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was kinda leaning toward the geo as well but wanted your opinions. The MRC is just so nice looking (even with the cracks) and I've read such great reviews on the recirculating models I figured I'd at least consider it, not to mention the money paid for it.... I am looking forward to hooking the geo goliath up to see it in action

Comment

Geo, for one, you'll probably be able to move the other quicker with a smaller footprint more people would have room for it than the other.

Comment

GEO. that thing is a beast!! who used to own in? (dave)

corey

Comment

It is crazy, every time I stand by it I'm in awe of it lol. I honestly forget the name of the guy who owned it. It was on a 600 gallon reef just south of Dayton. The tank was taken down so all the equipment was sold off.

Comment

Working...
                X