WTF did I do? Purple water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF did I do? Purple water?

So a peppermint shrimp decided to escape the fuge and ended up in return section so I decided to rescue him. On my tank this involves taking out my dosing pump ato reservoir and dosing containers as they all sit on top of my sump. I turned off my return pump got everything out and rescued the stupid shrimp. I put everything back in its place emptied the skimmer cup and turned the pump back on. After getting everything buttoned back up I look at the dt and it's now purple. I kid you not the tank now has a reddish tone to the water. My skimmer is now removing what I can only describe as pink skimmate.
    My working theory is this. The only thing I did out of the ordinary was take my chaeto ball and rinse it off under fw to try to knock off some of the cyano that was growing on it. Im thinking that the fw killed off the cyano and now it's been dissolved in my water column.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before?

At least everything looks happy...

Comment

I'd also guess that you put the cyano in suspension.

On a side note, your cheato should be moving/ rolling. This will make it grow faster. The fact that cyano was growing in it tells me you don't have enough flow. Also, can I ask why you grow cheato?

Comment

I don't grow chaeto, it has been slowly dying since the tank started, nutrients too low. I have full flow through the refugium, a good 500gph conservatively so the chaeto would would move and roll but the way my sump is designed it gets caught on the baffle and stops. Now I have some extra pieces of live rock with some clove polyps and xenia hanging out in there as well. If you think it's a good idea I could just toss the chaeto and go without, I don't really think it's doing anything for me at this point.

Comment

I'd recommend ditching the cheato. It's probably acting more as a nutrient trap then a nutrient export device.

Comment

I may do that, I've been having issues getting any sort of detectible nutrients.

Comment

Jason,
              What do you suggest instead of chaeto?

Comment

Originally posted by mmillerr View Post
                Jason,
                What do you suggest instead of chaeto?
                From a nutrient export perspective? Controlled feeding and regular, large water changes.

Comment

Good live rock helps as well, to be honest I never had a nutrient issue even in my old tank that had no sump or fuge.

Comment

Water seems to have cleared up today, doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

Comment

i'd suggest you watch the recent BRS series on chaeto. depending on your fuge light you can keep up with nutrients with chaeto alone.

Comment

True, and that was my original intent with the chaeto. And honestly it seems to have worked, unfortunately a bit too well. I've not been able to get measurable nitrates or phosphates for probably the last two months which may be leading to the lack of growth and color in some of the corals I'm keeping, particularly the couple of acros I have. I have some zoas that only very recently started to spread, that was after I started dosing aminos, although I'm not going to 100% attribute it to that.

Comment

did you recently change gfo? that skimmer looks like its rusty brown on the picture
                          -Travis-

Comment

I don't run gfo actually. The skim was really actually pink, camera didn't really pick it up, not a rusty color. Everything back to normal as of yesterday.

Comment

Here's a picture of the skim when it first started pulling. It's been edited a bit to enhance the color, but only because cell phone camera did a poor job of picking up the color.

Comment

Working...
                              X