Electricians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricians

Anyone know someone or know how to install a 20a GFCI breaker into a breaker box? I think I want to run a dedicated line to my tank this time around. I'm comfortable wiring stuff but getting into the breaker box unnerves me!
    500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

following, id like to have one ran possibly.

Comment

I can run everything up to the breaker box, and after watching youtube vids it looks really easy to add a breaker but it just scares me to go inside the box. So id really just need someone to pop the breaker in and connect the wires.

Comment

it's really not hard to hook up, but def understand the fear
        -Travis-

Comment

Do you have enough room? Also what size main breaker do you have? Just have to make sure it can handle more on it.*

Comment

It's a 150a box. It looks like there's more room on it and there are 2 breakers in the box that aren't even in use (nothing notated on box as to their use anyway). Right now I'm using a bunch of extension cords for the tank with no issues over the last 5 years so I'm sure it can handle the load, I'd just prefer the tank to be on a dedicated GFCI circuit for added peace of mind.

Comment

If you are not comfortable reaching into the box and working on it, that's good thing. You have common sense.

The best thing to do is kill the main breaker at the top, install your GFCI breaker, then return power to the box. Once that main is shut off, you WILL STILL HAVE POWER at the top lugs of the box.
              Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jh2pizza View Post
                If you are not comfortable reaching into the box and working on it, that's good thing. You have common sense.

The best thing to do is kill the main breaker at the top, install your GFCI breaker, then return power to the box. Once that main is shut off, you WILL STILL HAVE POWER at the top lugs of the box.
                My wife would HIGHLY disagree with the common sense!!! lol

I have found someone willing to put the breaker in after I run all the wiring, I won't say who unless he would like to make himself known but I sincerely appreciate the help

Comment

You might want to consider twp gfci circuits so that if one trips it won't kill everything to your tank. Divide the essentials between the two circuits and at least you'll have some water movement in case of a trip. JMTCFWIW.

Comment

Yea I'm contemplating that for sure. It'll depend on if I have the space in the box for 2. My tank runs on such low power usage that I doubt it would ever be an issue but yea, better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by mmillerr View Post
                      You might want to consider twp gfci circuits so that if one trips it won't kill everything to your tank. Divide the essentials between the two circuits and at least you'll have some water movement in case of a trip. JMTCFWIW.
                      This is what I did but I actually ran three.

Comment

Why not just use a gfci outlet? That's much easier and cheaper than running a whole new branch out of your box. With that being said it's not too difficult to add a new breaker as long as you have space.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMark View Post
                          Why not just use a gfci outlet? That's much easier and cheaper than running a whole new branch out of your box. With that being said it's not too difficult to add a new breaker as long as you have space.
                          I think he wants to have a breaker dedicated to the tank, not just the GFCI... and if he is going to add a breaker, why not make it GFCI as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nburg View Post

I think he wants to have a breaker dedicated to the tank, not just the GFCI... and if he is going to add a breaker, why not make it GFCI as well.
                            That about sums it up

Comment

Working...
                            X