Mixing tangs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing tangs

Hey every one. This is my first post. I'm a beginner hobbyist. And this is my first post and first day on cora. DT 125 gallon. Frag tank 50 low boy zoomed. Quarantine tank 55 gallon. I have done a lot of research and watched a lot of videos on mixing tangs. I know that the best chances of success is to add them all to your dt tank. at the same time as juveniles. And to mix different tangs for different color body shape and subspecies. Example. Yellow tang. Regal tang. Naso tang. Kole tang. Are all different families. I also have researched Tang aggression clown Tang. Powder Blue Tang. Purple tang are on the aggressive side. While Naso. regal blue are on passive side. I also have read that you can keep mixed tangs for years with no problems but once they are fully matured they may suddenly become aggressive towards each other or will immediately attack and kill any new fish added to the aquarium. After weeks of research I finally settled on the tangs I wish to attempt to keep in my 125. Here are the 3 I'm considering. Purple tang. Lavender Tang. And a powder blue tang or blue regal tang. I know that the blue regal tang will eventually outgrow my 125 but this will take a few years. Has anybody had any experience keeping a Powder Blue Tang or has anyone had any experience with the three tangs I'm attempting to keep in my 125. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this issue thank you. BILL DEE.

For a 125 personally I think 3 is to many. I have 2 in my 240 and I'm hoping not to have issues later down the raod. I have a Purple and a Chevron. Been together for about 3 years. The chevron is the larger of the 2. She's been in the tank for close to 6 years.

Comment

​ suggested tang tank size

Comment

IMO I'd say a 180. Doesn't sound like a huge difference but again IMO the front to back space makes a big difference. A 150 doesn't have the length but would have the depth.

Comment

Side note would also make a quacking easier.

Comment

Welcome! Also, as you add coral and they grow, your display swimming space will reduce. I have a 120 and only a single scopas tang. I'd recommend a single tang and a bunch of other really cool fish.

Comment

Excellent advice hollback. I did not take into consideration the space fully matured Coral would take in my aquarium. I have seen my question of mixing tangs asked many times on different forms throughout the years reef2reef .reefcentral. etc. Also bulk reef Supply FAQ #28 video of mixing tangs was also informative. I am now considering only one 8 inch tang for my display tank. Just seems to be too much of hassle to experiment with mixing multiple tangs in a 125 gallon. Buying quarantining and acclimating 3 tangs . Not to mention the tedious process of removing all your rock to net them out after they start fighting. Then giving them away.

Comment

In all honesty it will take the juvenile tangs YEARS to outgrow your tank and also YEARS for your coral to 'fully mature' by that point in time one will probably die on its own and you will either sell your tank and get out of hobby or upgrade to larger system. Most people give advice as if you will be perfect in maintaining your tank and have it in the exact same spot and make no changes for 15 years, which has to be maybe 1% of everyone in this hobby.

Comment

I typically only like to keep 1 tang in my 210g mostly because they are still very aggressive with a larger tank like mine. Not saying that I can't, I just personally see more issues with more than one. Then again I'm more of a coral fan and keep the fish to keep my wife happy and only have 6 small fish and the 1 tang.
                  -Travis-

Comment

As beautiful as the powder blue tang is, they are also prone to ich. From my experience, more so than some other tangs.

Corey

Comment

ick parasite and its life cycle. After waching rotter tube. I use cupermine treatment on all my fish even if they show no signs of ick or Marine velvet brooklynella. My purple tang is just finishing a two-week treatment. He was completely covered an ich before I treated him. I feel copper treatment is the most effective way to treat ick. # 2 would probably be hypo salinity. Or tank transfer method. Feeding them garlic and other immune boosters I feel is just a myth and does very little in treating ich.. I really wanted a Powder Blue Tang but I feel they are just too aggressive.

Comment

They are but no more aggressive than a purple. I have a purple, yellow, sailfin, and 2 blue tangs and my purple dominates my ALL. No questions asked on who's that boss.
                        I was just point out ick as an issue. I've tried powder blue tangs in the previous tank and they would be great for a long time, then all a sudden, BOOM. ick comes and they die. Maybe just my bad luck and the others I know who have had similar results.
                        But no doubt they are some of the most beautiful fish out there.

Corey

Comment

i had a powder blue recently for 18 months with 2 other tangs. I went 6 months without adding anything to the tank and still randomly ich appears and it dies. lol rip powder blue

Comment

I have 6 tangs in my 300 gallon mixed reef, yellow tang, purple, tang, desjardini sailfin tang, orange shoulder. Sohal tang , and last the Gem tang. I was afraid that my sohal which is huge and the king of the tang was going to destroy my pricey precious gem so I took precautions and had the gem tang in a contained tank inside my display for 4 weeks where all the fish will see and swim with him but not next to him. Once I released the Gem with all the lights off all is good. The next day I waited till the lights came on and the only fish that showed minor aggression to the gem tang was the yellow and that was just for a few hours only if the gem was in the yellow tangs area. Now its been a month since the gem is released and he is the smallest next to tbe other tangs they swim and get alone as happy as can be. So my opinion its all on the fish.

Comment

Just out of curiosity for those that had the ich randomly appear later on. Did you quarantine and if so did you do precautionary meds to treat what may be lurking?
                              500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

Comment

Working...
                              X