Possible bryopsis cure with fluconizole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible bryopsis cure with fluconizole

Separating this out from the other thread for clarity.
    Some background : I had a decent problem with bryopsis. Did a lot of manual removal quite often but was never able to totally eradicate it. If you know bryopsis even a tiny piece grows quickly and you are right back where you started. I couldn't find anything that would eat it or at least not effectively. I decided to dose fluconazole. I followed the general dosage from others who had tried it. I estimated my total volume as best I could and believe I dosed roughly probably just under 20mg/gallon.
    Next couple posts will be pics along the way.
    Last edited by Hollback; 05-02-2017, 11:31 AM.

20170418_154024_zpsryfdzlyi.jpg20170425_133550_zpsmup0yflg.jpg20170412_195815_zpsjnazaqe0.jpg20170425_133534_zps0vcd0iho.jpg20170425_133600_zpsnlvyy7kl.jpg

Some pics pre-treatment

Comment

20170425_133558_zpssymxqkbh.jpg20170425_133550_zpsmup0yflg.jpg20170425_133534_zps0vcd0iho.jpg
      20170425_133507_zpsvfgr9wcf.jpg
      Was planning on doing pics each day but it wasn't until day 3 that there were noticable differences. Also I literally didn't get a chance to look at my tank until day 3. I didn't notice any bad side effects with fish corals etc. other than 2 of my acros didn't have polyp extention and don't look healthy in general. The treatment looks to only effect bryopsis and hair algae. No effect opn bubble, or others. I also noticed that my tangs started eating at the bryopsis, which they never did before.

Comment

20170502_105555_zpsomzzkzny.jpg20170502_112416_zps4zr7xxv9.jpg20170502_123131_zps42spstzx.jpg20170502_123147_zpsfd3kuscx.jpg

20170502_123223_zpskjy8asv9.jpg

Today day 7 of treatment and there is significant change. I can still see some small remnents of the Bryopsis. Which I hope will go away completely in the next day or so. Otherwise I fear this will result in in coming back. That said the way things are progressing things look promising..
        Last edited by szwab; 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

20170502_123141_zps0pkhfjod.jpg

A close up. I'll post some more close ups in a couple days.

Comment

That's amazing. I might have to try this out. Did your bubble algae diminish?

Comment

I was surprised at how well it worked. Very sceptical after a day and a half but then it kicked in. I don't have much bubble algae except for on one of my tunze pumps. So far doesn't look like its been affected.

Comment

Man, those results are outstanding.
                ==> New 210 Miracles Starphire Build in Progress!

Comment

Agreed so far so good! The key IMO is whether or not it comes back or not.

Comment

Very encouraging- keep us posted.

Comment

I'm also going to try this. Got the drug a few days ago and will be dosing it this afternoon. I'll also try to take some picts.
                      Bill
                      Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

Update. Did a water change last night. Waited as long as I could. It was the first one since the treatment. I will start using carbon again as well. Curious to see if the bryopsis stays away as the fluconizole is diluted. All bryopsis seems to be gone. No visible trace at least. My frag tank has some hair algae that is remains. Not much and only at the water line on the sides of the tank. Should be pretty easy to manually remove. Probably just update one more time. Or if the bryopsis comes back. As of right now very happy with the results.

Comment

So you went about 3 weeks before doing a water change correct? I'm at 1 week and 1 day and it looks really good with just a few hairs of bryopsis left.
                          Also forgot to mention that my fish's toenail fungus has cleared up also. Guess that is the advantage to using a fungicide. LOL.
                          Last edited by sammie; 05-19-2017, 04:58 PM.
                          Bill
                          Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

Figured I'd post one more time. As of today I'm still bryopsis free. Pretty convinced that if it does reappear it's because I've reintroduced it to my system. I was definitely skeptical but a believer now

Comment

I hope I never end up with a bryopsis outbreak, but if I do it's good to know there's hope, thanks for the info! I do plan on getting some florida live rock for some extra "critters" and life since I'm only doing FOWLR but that is always a gamble with nasties like that around.
                              500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

Comment

Working...
                              X