Cleaning out the bottom of the overflow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning out the bottom of the overflow

Since the overflow is top to bottom but the durso drain is at the top, does anyone slip a siphon down into the overflow and drain down to the bottom of the overflow as part of their waterchanges? Just curious if it is something I should add to my cleaning routine.
    Last edited by MisterY; 04-15-2014, 03:16 PM.
    Thank you to all the wives, husbands, friends, family, and significant others who help make this hobby possible.

-Todd

is your durso drain glued in to the Bulkhead?i pull my durso drain out and let all the junk go in to my Filter Socks

Comment

dursa is not glued but the return pvc runs right over it so there is little room to lift it out of the bulkhead
      Thank you to all the wives, husbands, friends, family, and significant others who help make this hobby possible.

-Todd

Comment

Duplicate post

-Todd

Comment

I siphon it about every other WC

Comment

i would siphon it out like John said or you can get a wet dry vac and i just use it for cleaning my sump and the overflow on my 60g

Comment

Going to clean it out tonight.

use a "bucket head" shop vac from home depot with the 5 gallon bucket to do water changes from my sump and an anaconda attached to the faucet for sand and rock siphoning. If the hose to the vac is narrow enough I will use it to drain the overflow, but it is pretty tight in there with the drain and the return so I may need to use an anaconda without the end cone.

Thanks all for your advice!!!!!

-Todd

Comment

I let creepy stuff grow in mine so I can look at it from the side of the tank. Giant worms and lots of mysis shrimp chillin out there
                ==> New 210 Miracles Starphire Build in Progress!

Comment

Me too, about 13 years of creepy crawlies going on in there. I look at it as kind of like a refugium.

Comment

I probably have all kinds of stuff growing in there as well, though I did cover the top with a opaque lid to not let the light in there to grow algea. I am worried about large chunks of seafood from Brad's and my homemade food sitting at the bottom and not being digested quickly.

-Todd

Comment

Our starfish lives there with some snails. We've pulled them out 4 times in the last couple months and the next day they are back in there. Idk
                      This is my reef tank
                      There are many like it
                      But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

I just suck out the detritus that settles on the bottom. I have an urchin and a trochus and tons of pineapple sponges and mini brittles. I have such low flow in there that so much detritus settles.

Comment

Working...
                        X