Tank next to pool table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank next to pool table

I just finished moving into a new house, and am considering putting in an inwall tank in the basement. However, it would be next to the pool table. Anyone have a setup like this? Any precautions I should take with types of glass or acrylic. The tank will be parallel with the table, so we wouldn't be breaking towards the tank.

There was a horror story on RC years ago about either a ball or cue breaking a tank.

Comment

Seems like I'm on the negative side of all these threads, but IMO, why tempt fate? It would seem like a really cool idea, until something happens and you realize it wasn't.

How fast can you move the first time one of your buddies says "hey, watch this trick shot I saw on tv - I'm gonna jump the cue over these 2 others and drop it in the side pocket…"?
      Rob
      90G DT on Hiatus...
      Nanobox Tide powered IM Fusion Nuvo 10 in recovery

Comment

If you go with anything it would have to be acrylic. At a certain thickness acrylic becomes bulletproof, so I doubt a cue or ball would bust it. On the other hand, it would be a prime target for scratching depending on how close the tank is to the pool table.

It is certainly doable, but with caution.
        ~Joe C.
        60 cube

Comment

how about an extra pane of glass/acrylic in front of the tank ? thick enough should deflect the force. or no shots in side pocket !!

the look would be soooooo for sure ! :beer:

Comment

How about combining the two?
            Bill

"consider these truths humans only love what they know and people do not destroy what they love." Robert M. Fenner

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyereefer View Post
              how about an extra pane of glass/acrylic in front of the tank ? thick enough should deflect the force. or no shots in side pocket !!

the look would be soooooo for sure ! :beer:
              I was considering this, but wondered what the effects would be on the visuals. Would I leave an air gap between them? Then how do you clean the front of the tank? I'm leaning towards not doing it, but it would go perfectly in that particular spot.

Comment

I had thought about Larry's suggestion as well, but couldn't figure a good way to allow for cleaning. I think you would have to have space between the protective pane (I think you'd want to use Lexan polycarbonate) and the tank in order to allow the Lexan to absorb any impact. Although it doesn't refract like glass, I would think it would definitely mess with the view in the tank. Also, the harder it is to cleans the tank, the quicker you will not be happy.

Out of curiosity, how much space between the table and the wall with the tank? Because you asked for thoughts, I'm visualizing like 5' or something closer like that.
                Rob
                90G DT on Hiatus...
                Nanobox Tide powered IM Fusion Nuvo 10 in recovery

Comment

I would say use like 3/4 inch acrylic. Leave an air gap and when you trim it in make the two side trim pieces removeable. Then you could take out the acrylic to clean both it and the glass.

Comment

I had this same setup a few years ago. It was a 220, so the glass was pretty thick. It didn't even dawn on me that there could be a problem until someone pointed the potential danger out to me. We just ended up breaking the rack away from the tank. Most other shots are not going to be forceful enough to create a problem.

That being said, everyone's suggestion about putting a piece of acrylic in front of your glass will alleviate your concerns. Some of that stuff is bulletproof, and pretty thin.

Comment

On fish tank kings when they were building a tank behind the plate at the marlins stadium that would have 100 mph fast balls they put a sheet of acrylic In front to shield the tank from being hit. A sheet of acrylic with about an inch clearance would be more than enough if it's the right thickness. Or the cheaper route would be to put some sort of foam on the end of the pool sticks.

Comment

Once the table is assembled it will be ~61 inches from each wall. Its set to be assembled and felted with the tournament felt on Monday.

Behind the wall. An 8' tank would fit nicely between the supports.

Comment

That's an I-Beam at the top of the photo, right? I'm not trying to meddle, but it looks like that's a weight bearing wall. I think it is an I-Beam, in which case you don't have to worry Yeah, I think that's metal, so you're fine to tear into the studs.

Comment

Yes that's the main I-beam for the house.

Comment

An example after some google searches here.

Comment

Working...
                              X