Re-cycling my tank - need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-cycling my tank - need advice

I need some advice regarding starting a new cycle in my tank. When my tank started leaking and I had to tear it down quickly I didn't have any way to keep the rock and sand from the display tank "live". After I removed the tank I shut down the return pipe in the basement and kept just the sump, frag tank and refugium running. Now when I set my display tank up again I'll be essentially starting with base rock and sand. The refugium (29G) has some live rock in it along with a dsb. I plan on doing a quick bleach on the rock to remove any remaining organics (with a good rinse and some dechlor).

I'm wondering if I can just fill the display tank up with saltwater, match the parameters to the existing water in the basement tanks and then open up the basement return pipe. Would I still get a cycle or would the existing fauna from the refugium be enough to offset it? All three basement tanks (fuge, sump and frag) are connected by the way and are hosting all the corals and fish from the display tank. The water volume of the basement tanks is about 65-70 gallons. In a sense, I guess this would be like a very large water change. Since the rock and sand would be clean and without any real organics I don't "think" it would cycle but I'm not certain.

Alternatively, I could add the rock and sand, fill up the display tank, kick on the powerheads and just let it sit for while to see if it cycles and THEN open up the basement return pipe (assuming any cycle is complete).

Thoughts?
    Vaughn

IM Fusion Nuvo 20G, Ghost Skimmer, Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex, Neptune Apex DOS, Gyre 130, Tunze 3155 ATO,

I'd go with your plan A of just filling the tank with rock, sand and new saltwater and just open that valve from the sump!

You will get a cycle no matter how you go about it. I added less than a bucket of sand to my 160 gallon system and it created a small cycle. I'm getting ready to add some more LR to my new LPS tank (old frag tank) but I'm going to let it cycle in a bucket first to cause as little of a cycle as possible once it goes in. I previously added some rock and it also caused a bit of a cycle.

As with everything in this hobby, just be patient. I always see people running Phosphate remover and trying all kinds of stuff to remove algae. IME, just let nature take it's course and after about 6 months you'll have nothing to worry about. Just keep up on water changes and heavy skimming and don't waste your money on trying to reduce nutrients.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Rob. It's always good to hear someone else say you're on the right track. Once I start it back up I'll keep a close eye on it and make sure I keep some fresh saltwater on hand to do water changes if levels start to rise.
      Vaughn

IM Fusion Nuvo 20G, Ghost Skimmer, Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex, Neptune Apex DOS, Gyre 130, Tunze 3155 ATO,

Comment

Working...
      X