Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan question on t-5 unit

I have a 6 lamp t-5 unit with duel fans
    one of the fans is making a noise that sounds very much like its bearings are failing.

is there a way that a guy with very limited wiring skills can by-pass the fan (its tied directly with the lamp power switch.) and use a simple external fan blowing through the vent openings?

if there is enough exposed wire you could cut the wires and wirenut the ends . Unplug it first of course

Comment

Dave; It's okay to clip either one of the wires to the fan and tape it off. Leave some slack so you can replace the fan with another though - it's most likely your run-of-the-mill DC sleeve-bearing chinese PC fan. It may even have a molex connector (which you could just unclip)

Comment

with the fan coming on with the light, I assume that I have to twist the two wires together and cap rather than just one otherwise would the circuit would be open and thus no light too right??

man I should have paid more attention in physics class

Comment

If it's wired in series, that will be the case.

Last edited by cybe; 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

so how do I know which to do

Comment

Cut a wire going to the fan - if the lamp still works, you're golden.

It'll be probably be wired in parallel - so cutting one wire would be no different than flipping a switch.

Don't shunt them together.
              Last edited by cybe; 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

cut the red wire or the blue one
                jk
                I had one of those cheesey bomb defusing movies and that one from
                M.A.S.H. which was also cheesy but on purpose lol

Comment

worked like a charm. Did not even have to get the old physics book out to review LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X