Coral Box Quiet Pump Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coral Box Quiet Pump Review

My first experience with Jebao power heads was at the beginning of 2013. I bought a WP40 as a cheap backup pump for my Tunze 6105. I wasn't expecting much based on the price but was pleasantly surprised at the material quality, amount of flow, controller capabilities, and how long it lasted. I have since moved to the Jebao pumps and I'm currently running a SW-15 and PP-15 in my 120 SPS dominant display.

Fish-street.com (the online retailer company where the Jebao originated) just launched a new series of wavemaker pumps called the Coral Box Quiet Pump series. Full disclosure, they are offering the pump at no cost to me if I post a review. I have been impressed with their pumps so far, and wanted to see how this one compared to my current Jebao pumps. This will be an honest review as I have nothing to lose. I placed the order today so once I receive it I will tell you my thoughts.

Here are the basics about the pumps according to Fish Street's website.

There are three different pump sizes in this series.

Basic Stats for the Quiet Series Pumps:
    Mode 6 Mode
    Normal / Sine / Advance Pulse / Nature / Reef / Advance Shift
    Advance Pulse Can Pulse for 2 Pump. One pump Stop, another pump running
    Advance Controller Digital LED Controller. See it clearly operation flow and mode
    Accuracy Digital 1 - 99% Setting Output Flow. Custom Self Easy to set
    Master / Slave Mix with up to 8 Pump
    Accuracy of Time Real Time
    Motor Pump No Eletrical Inside, Pump motor is lifetime will not damage
    Design Design in Germany with Coral Box

Comparison of the different model sizes:
    QP-5 QP-9 QP-16
    Flow 5000Litres /1300Gallon 9000Litres / 2340 Gallon 16000 Litres / 4160 Gallon
    Watts 10W 23W 40W
    Size 8.5 x 6 x 6.5cm 10.5 x 8 x 7.5cm 12.5 x 9 x8.5cm

These pumps come with a controller with 6 different flow modes.

Multiple pumps can also be controlled/synced via wireless connection.

I look forward to receiving this pump and I'm interested to see how this design performs compared to my exiting Jebao pumps. I will be reviewing the QP-16 and will post a video and photos.

looks a lot like the Vortech. I will be following your review

corey

Comment

Yes it does. Here is a good example of the Jebao pumps I have had. You can see how their physical design has evolved.

Jebao WP-40

Jebao WP-15 / PP-15 (same body design)

Comment

WPxx - The WP is the original product released in 2013. Biggest issue with this design is a small amount of debris will cause the pumps to slow down. So you will need to clean them quite frequently to keep their speed up due to the small slits. RWxx- The RW seemed to fix the debris issue as they run far longer between cleanings. The output opening is also larger allowing for better flow. Unfortunately, they change the magnetic mount from a 360 deg. ball mount to a simple up-and down swivel.
        The other thing that was added is the "wireless" controller.
        PPxx - The PP series is the latest edition. It is identical to the RW series except for the magnetic mount. Though Jebao claims it is a stronger magnet. It is rumored that the PP was created to get around a patent issue related to the magnetic mount used by Hydor/Koralia in their pumps.
        FLOW COMPARISON - All three series use the same impellers and have the same flow ratings. Here is a list of all the pumps and their flow:
        WP10 -> RW4 -> PP4 = 4,000 LPH
        WP25 -> RW8 -> PP8 = 8,000 LPH
        WP40 -> RW15 -> PP15 = 13,000 LPH
        WP60 -> RW20 -> PP20 = 20,000 LPH

Comment

Nice!!! So no wire in the tanks like mp40? Shoot i might just get a couple of them myself

Comment

Hey Bill. I think Corey was talking about the look of the pump. They do have the cord in the tank.

Comment

I was. Not to start a patent war debate but the motor outside the tank like the vortech is patented until 2018 or 2020 I think. I would imagine once it expires we will see more options in that area.
              Jason, I am a big Tunze and Roger fan, I only run vortechs now because the tank is open top and I didn't want wires hanging out the top. Over the evolution of these pumps how have you seen the durability off these pumps change? In comparison to Tunze, how about customer support? I think my old tunzes were tanks but just as important I loved the customer service. There can't be a price on that support. That being said, I only had to use out once and if you have not had issues with your Jebao pumps then customer service is sort of irrelevant. Thus making the price more attractive.

Corey

Comment

Corey,

I'm not a fan of the Vortech pumps. IMO, having the motor outside of the glass creates too much hum. Also it seems things wear quickly as I frequently see people needing new wet sides and parts. My tank is also behind the wall so the cords are hidden. I am a huge Tunze fan and have much respect for Roger. I have just had good luck with these pumps lasting at least 2-3 years. If it dies and I can't fix it, I just buy a new one. No point putting money into it as I can buy about 4 new ones before hitting the price of a Tunze or Vortech. I'm in no way saying these Chinese pumps are better than Tunze or Vortech, they have just been a cheaper alternative that fit my needs.

Comment

I loved my mp40's but had trouble 3 time with the wet side magnet busting open and rusting. Jason i told you i recently bought 2 of the jebao crossflows and absolutely love them my fish and coral do too. only been a month but i am very pleased so far.
                  155 gallon bowfront dt, 100 gallon basement sump, 20 gallon long fuge, reeflo hammerhead, Auqua Euro 250

Comment

My vortech have been good to me so far. They do need serviced now, first time in 4 years and I bought them used. They can be a little loud but not too bad. If my tank was in wall I'd be rocking Tunzes no doubt, mihght even try the Jebao, but for the sake of open top middle of the room tank I wanted a clean look. However, I recently added a gyre an I HATE the look of the cord on top of my tank, but if I can grow to accept it I might switch out of the vortechs...I have seen many ppl with great luck with the Jebao pumps.
                    What size are these in comparison to he vortech, jason?

corey

Comment

Originally posted by BIECAKA View Post
                      My vortech have been good to me so far. They do need serviced now, first time in 4 years and I bought them used. They can be a little loud but not too bad. If my tank was in wall I'd be rocking Tunzes no doubt, mihght even try the Jebao, but for the sake of open top middle of the room tank I wanted a clean look. However, I recently added a gyre an I HATE the look of the cord on top of my tank, but if I can grow to accept it I might switch out of the vortechs...I have seen many ppl with great luck with the Jebao pumps.
                      What size are these in comparison to he vortech, jason?

corey

I feel you on the clean look Corey. That's why I kept my display inwall.

This new pump (QP-16) looks to be 12.5 x 9 x8.5cm compared to Vortech MP40 (similar flow output) which is, Dry-Side: 3.00 x 2.25 inches (76.0 x 57.0 mm) Wet-Side: 3.00 x 3.00 inches (76.0 x 76.0 mm), see below:

Comment

Originally posted by Tick1962 View Post
                        I loved my mp40's but had trouble 3 time with the wet side magnet busting open and rusting. Jason i told you i recently bought 2 of the jebao crossflows and absolutely love them my fish and coral do too. only been a month but i am very pleased so far.
                        Oh yeah I meant to ask how they were doing. I'd love to see the Jebao crossflows in action sometime.

Comment

its a little drive but your more than welcome to stop out anytime.
                          155 gallon bowfront dt, 100 gallon basement sump, 20 gallon long fuge, reeflo hammerhead, Auqua Euro 250

Comment

Originally posted by Tick1962 View Post
                            its a little drive but your more than welcome to stop out anytime.
                            Thanks Man! I will let you know if I'm ever out your direction.

I'm still anxiously waiting for this pump to show up. Since it's coming from China, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Comment

ive just had no dang luck with the controllers! I have 2 now that the controllers arent working. And the vortechs, have alot off wet side and bearing issues like every one has said.

i have 2 tunze 6105's and a mp40wes on my 93g cube thats cycling right now lmao! Always had a problem with flow! Bet i dont now lol

​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X