Becket skimmer questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becket skimmer questions

I managed to pick up a geo beckett skimmer this past weekend for a pretty good deal. I've been reading up on them and it seems like people either run them directly on their return line or with a pump.

Given the inlet on this one (picture below) I would say it's meant for a return line from an upstairs tank flowing downstairs and not direct from a pump.

My DT would be above this (gravity wise), but given that I'm going to have a shared sump for a larger system comprised of 3-4 tanks, I was thinking that setting it up with a pump would be the best option for it to integrate to my sump (100g rubbermaid).

Any thoughts about how to calculate flow requirements or if I should try and re-plumb the inlet/outlet at all as a better match? It is 33" total height, main chamber is 8.5" diameter, I was told it could do 300-600g depending on load.

BUILDING OUT:
    75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
    3x 50g acrylic frag tanks
    100g rubbermaid sump

A beckett can not be ran as a gravity fed skimmer or even tee'd off from a return pump. If you want to gravity feed a skimmer it needs to be a recirculating needle wheel. Flow calculation related to dwell time is for recirc skimmers. For a beckett to function, it has to be ran with a high pressure, dedicated pump. Mine is similar to the one you have. I suggest a Panworld 150 or even a 200.

Comment

yes. 1000%.

Needs its own pressure rated pump. I ran an iwaki on mine.

Comment

Thanks guys, when I was looking at it I figured a pump was the way to go. Could you post some pictures of how you have yours plumbed in to your systems?
        BUILDING OUT:
        75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
        100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Google showed me this.
          Last edited by Hollback; 03-15-2017, 07:59 AM. Reason: Photo removed. Bad example.

Comment

One last question, do I need a gate valve on the intake to control flow from a pump into the skimmer, or does the diameter of the intake pipe/air mix control the flow?

Wondering if any pump hooked up would be too powerful, resulting in flooding the collection cup.
            BUILDING OUT:
            100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

mine looks different than that. assuming the smaller diameter pipe is used as an intake for that pump, then sent into the intake. What is the second intake for that doesn't seem to be piped to anything?
              BUILDING OUT:
              100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

(sorry, thinking about this more). Isn't it a bad thing to have an external pump above water level for this? Wouldn't that require pump priming, and potentially cause issues after a power loss?

I haven't dealt much with external pumps (as is evidenced).
                BUILDING OUT:
                100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Yes, you would want a valve between the pump and the beckett feed but I run mine wide open.

Ignore that photo. It's a bad example. Hold on. I'll find another.
                  Last edited by Hollback; 03-14-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Here is my setup. Yes, the pump needs to be below the sump water level.

Comment

Thanks so much for posting that. The picture for integrating to my system is starting to gel a lot more now.

I see your intake for the pump is just up and over into your sump. Does your pump need to be primed at all or does it self-prime and force the air out of the inlet line?
                      BUILDING OUT:
                      100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

I primed it when I first set it up but have never again. The sump never drops low enough to let air in the intake and when I service the pump, I turn the ball valve off to trap the water in the intake line. Drilling would have been best but I didn't want to mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollback View Post
                          I primed it when I first set it up but have never again. The sump never drops low enough to let air in the intake and when I service the pump, I turn the ball valve off to trap the water in the intake line. Drilling would have been best but I didn't want to mess with it.
                          I did this same thing in my garage, had power failures and never had a issue starting back up....... until my apex fried!!!!!

Comment

Dang Bill, that stinks. I love my controller but all my eggs are in one basket.

Comment

mine is roughly 4' tall and it needs a panworld 250 to work correctly, the only problem I have with it is the size pump it needs. I can't get good pictures as it is behind my calcium reactor
                              -Travis-

Comment

Working...
                              X