Upgrading My Tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading My Tank

Hey all! It's been a while since I've been on here.

My current setup is a 60gal cube using a Photon 24 for my lighting source. Well...we are at the end stages of building our new house and I'm upgrading to a 120 gallon tank. I've been out of the equipment game for a while and wanted some feedback on a good lighting source. My tank is a mix of zoa/ play's, LPS and SPS. To round things out, I've also got a clam and a yuma that is exploding.

I plan to bring all of these over into my new tank, along with a Rock Flower anemone and a bubble tip i've been keeping in another tank.

BTW...The 60 cube setup (stand, canopy, cube and light will be on sale shortly)

Thanks for your help!
    ~Joe C.
    60 cube

Welcome back. Love my Kessil lights
    This is my reef tank
    There are many like it
    But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

2nd the Kessils. I like my current Reef Breeders, but on my new build I am switching entirely to Kessil.
      -Aanonymous- (John)

Comment

Someone had mentioned the ATI sun power 8x48 previously, and I don't know much about them.

I'm used to the Reefbreeders setup and like mine. I'm starting to get solid growth out of my SPS. Which Kessils would you recommend for the 120?

I'm in the mindset of buy once, cry once.
        ~Joe C.
        60 cube

Comment

48 inch 120g... I'd go with the ap700
          This is my reef tank
          There are many like it
          But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

Link to the specs

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/...FQyHaQod44wE-Q
            This is my reef tank
            There are many like it
            But this one is mine

Comment

IMO 1 ap700 would not be enough spread unless you had it 20 feet in the air. 3 360's would be better or 2 360s and 2 160s if you have a center brace is what I had to do on my 4 foot tank.

2 360s alone would be enough for a mixed reef you can mount them further apart than the pucks on the ap700. But the third 360 or 2 160s around the center brace really help if you want to ever become more SPS dominant.
              Last edited by GrizzlyMint; 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I think what I may do is run my current reefbreeder photon 24 and add two T5's for supplemental lighting. Once I get more money saved, I'll upgrade to the photon v2 48.

I've read a lot about going with the hybrid lighting and it seems to be pretty successful. Thoughts?
                ~Joe C.
                60 cube

Comment

Agreed if you have the space.

Check out bulk reef supplys 160gallon tank lightning videos they did this year. very informative.

Comment

So much of it depends on the aquascape. I run a single halide over my 4ft tank, but my rockwork is all in the center. Like mentioned if you go kessil you might want to do the 360 and get 2 to start then if need be add a 3rd if desirable. Mixed tank could make a ap700 work but if things started to grow or spread you might need more light down the road and th individual kessil's provide more flexibility. Or another photon 24 would work. There is now doubt that an ATI would work, even a 36 inch fixture. 6 bulbs would likely suffice since it will be so much of a mixed reef. Some radiums would kick butt too

Corey

Comment

I think what I'm going to do is continue using my Photon 24 and save up for the new Photon V2 48. I'm also going to supplement with two T5's (one on each side). I hope this would give me the coverage I need. Ideally I want to get more SPS growing with more consistency.

I like the ATI units, but I'm not too fond of having to replace all of my light bulbs every 8-10 months.
                      ~Joe C.
                      60 cube

Comment

Originally posted by Bucks149 View Post
                        I think what I'm going to do is continue using my Photon 24 and save up for the new Photon V2 48. I'm also going to supplement with two T5's (one on each side). I hope this would give me the coverage I need. Ideally I want to get more SPS growing with more consistency.

I like the ATI units, but I'm not too fond of having to replace all of my light bulbs every 8-10 months.
                        Yeah I hear ya on that. I thought about that when I switched back to halides. But a 75$ bulb goes into 4 radions at 750$ each a lot of times. Or 1500f fir kessils. Plus I'm strong on 12 months with this bulb. I need to post in the forum to borrow the par meter again and check the drop off. I actually have heard 14-16 months on halides and 12 or so on t5. Various factors of course. Dimning, over drive, cooled properly, hours ran etc.
                        But I think another photon 24 would work great for you.

Corey

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

might be interested in the 60g and stand depending on price. Please let me know when you are ready to sell. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X