Lighting for 72"x 30" x 24" reef

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting for 72"x 30" x 24" reef

I just purchased a new aquarium and am debating what lighting options to go with. I currently have a 48" 6 bulb t5 on my 75 gallon mixed reef and I was considering using that light with a 60"-72" t5/metal halide combo fixture. In total there would be 10 t5 bulbs and 3 250w metal halides on the tank.

What are your thoughts on this? I do not have experience with MH but like the results I see on other individuals tanks. Not too sure about switching to LED's just yet.

Nothin beats halides and t5's. I'm running a single halide on my tank. A 250, but might try the 400 watt radium. No guessing on the spectrum, just plug it in and forget it.

Corey

Comment

I'm trying to find the t5/mh combo fixture that has 400w capability but haven't found one yet.

Comment

MH, MH, MH need I say more for growth. Your tank is about the same depth as mine and I have 2-250 radiums on each side and a 400 radium in the middle but because mine is 36" wide I've added 6 kessil 360's to fill in in front and back of the MH. I would stay away from the all in one units as you can find MH pendants very cheap and if one component goes bad you don't have to replace the whole thing.
        Bill
        Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

Bill, how do you like the 400 compared to the 250? Notice any difference other than just brighter?

Corey

Comment

I actually think things grow faster under the 400 vs. the 250's. My 2 foot square Monti Cap was under the 400 along with a mega sized oxypora.
            Bill
            Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

Yeah I was talking to Jeremy B that used to be at premium, about ordering a new bulb from him at his store. He says I should give the 400 a serious consideration. He says it is far superior to the 250. And it would work for my set up, I could raise it a little and increase my spread even more and loose no par.

Corey

Comment

Can you use a 400w bulb in a 250w unit?

Comment

so am I understanding you're considering having a 48 inch all 5 fixture and then what a 3 foot halide and t5 combo or something?

Comment

I will have a 48" 6 bulb t5 fixture and a 60-72" 4 bulb t5/ 3 bulb MH fixture.

Here is an additional question. For a 72" tank should i go for a 60" or 72" light fixture?

Comment

3 halides covering a 2x2 area a peice would be perfect. Then the t5s being 60 would be perfect. Also I think most manufacturers stop at 60 inches. Like ATI bulbs i only see going to 60 inch 80w

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can use a 400wt bulb in a unit if your ballast will support it

Corey

Comment

I have been having trouble finding a t5/MH combo fixture that is 60" so I have been doing more research on other options. I have read a lot about LED's, from the Chinese made to the more expensive ones like the Radion's.

Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese fixtures. Everything I read is that they have come a long way but it seems that people still have mixed opinions. I was looking at the 300watt Marsaqua dimmable fixture. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaSig View Post
                            I have been having trouble finding a t5/MH combo fixture that is 60" so I have been doing more research on other options. I have read a lot about LED's, from the Chinese made to the more expensive ones like the Radion's.

Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese fixtures. Everything I read is that they have come a long way but it seems that people still have mixed opinions. I was looking at the 300watt Marsaqua dimmable fixture. Any thoughts?
                            My first leds were a radion gen 1 and a Chinese Blackbox over a 75g. I got better growth from the black box. I would have no problem with putting Chinese boxes over my reef. MH are not an option for me at this point in time but I would agree you'd see better growth out of the MH
                            -Travis-

Comment

If you went to see Hollbacks tank, you would agree that the 250w Radium over driven in HQI mode, with a reefbrite strip is perfect

Personally, I use T5 with LED supplements for a little shimmer.
                              ==> New 210 Miracles Starphire Build in Progress!

Comment

Working...
                              X