Diy Led?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diy Led?

Has anyone local done a DIY LED for your tank? I am thinking this might be the way to go for me but I dont know much about electrical. I have been told to do 3, 24 3 watt LED's on 18" heatsinks. What do you guys think I am trying to build a Light for my 72"X24"X18" 150 Gallon mixed reef. I would like to stay under $800 I looked a pre built LED fixtures and I could not find any in that price rang. Thank you
    Charles

I put together one of these for my frag tank.

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...ium-LED/Detail

I like the electric it saves but it's a little undersized for my tank size. I'm also not sold on the whole LED thing. When I move corals from my display it takes them a few weeks to color up. Then they look great but if I move them back under halides they look terrible again.

Comment

Thanks it will give me something to think about.

Comment

There are quite a few nice threads on RC (long) but good on DIY led's.

I think there a few locals that built some hopefully someone will chime in.

Comment

I did the rapidled diy kit about a year and a half ago, I did 2- 24 led on a 12" heat sink. It's actually really easy put together. I'm not quite sure 3-24 led would be enough for a 150g. I should have done 3 on my 90g because the I'm getting a little spot light effect and my par in the center of my tank is high but is almost non-existent at the ends.

I find that Mark Vera's LED presentation is pretty accurate. While I can grow coraline and LPS coral I can't grow any other type of coral at all like SPS. Every time I've added an SPS coral it's died on me in a matter of a week or two. I don't know your tank, but if you do have SPS right now I'd do what Mark Vera suggested which is stick with a 6500k MH light and supplement the blue LEDs to make the colors pop more.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I dont have any SPS right now but might add some at a later time. I am still going back and forth on the MH vs. LED.

Comment

I see that some of the high end manufacturers are adding reds to their fixtures as well as dimable channels to let you dial in hues. That being said, things are changing so rapidly with LEDs, what might be the greatest thing right now, will probably be old technology in a few months. Personally, I hate that. My led panorama strips have been replaced with a newer "Pro" version with better bulbs at the same price. Also, plasma bulbs that were supposed to be the future, look like they have been dropped.
              I'm curious to see what changes come out of Macna also.

Mh is pretty much foolproof now.

If I had a lot of disposable cash I would love to play around with LEDs more on my larger tank. For now I will stick with my trusty halides as the primary light source. You can still supplement with LED with a lot lower risk.
              Last edited by Easily Distracted; 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

What is killing me about all this is. If I go MH and buy all new I am looking at around $800 to $1000. Then my electric bill goes up and I got to buy 3 new bulbs every year at what $70 each. If I go LED I am looking at around $800 to $1000 if I DYI and the electric would not be as bad and I would not have to replace the bulbs every year. But with the LED's no one really knows how good they are and what they can and cant grow.

Comment

I'd stick with a proven method. Halides... or even consider T5s or a mix of both. I would imagine that you could find some quality used halide equipment for about half the price. What are you tank dimensions again?

Comment

But as of right now I am going back toward the MH set up unless someone can sell me on LED.

Comment

my build

I did a DIY on my 125 with 3 24's kit from rappidled I think it came up to be about $1000. Here is my build http://www.saltgeeks.com/forums/show...25-gallon-tank

Comment

If I had to do your setup and I was putting together a used light setup, I would do:
                        2 x used halide pendants with a decent spread (Lumen Bright?)
                        2 x used 250W ballasts (icecap or Galaxy 150 -250 HQI)
                        2 x new 14K bulbs (maybe radium if you go heavier sps)
                        2 x 4+ ft Actinic VHO bulbs for supplement
                        Driven by 1 x used icecap 660 ballast

I would offset the pendants to one side and have the rockwork higher on that side to handle corals with intense light needs tapering down to something like acans or colt coral on the far end. If you find the far end is still not bright enough, add a PAR spotlight. If you get bitten by the sps bug you can add a third pendant (as well as the other equipment you will be adding for a heavily stocked sps tank).

This is just what I think I would do off the top of my head.

Comment

Thanks I was thinking with starting with just 2 and then just add another one the more corals I got. As of right now the coral in my 44 gallon is not going to look like much in this 150 and I am going to have to take my time buying coral so it is not like I am going to fill it up fast. Thanks for the input guys this build was getting a little overwhelming there for a bit.

Comment

I think you should go with that setup. I even have a used IceCap 430 VHO ballast with 2 sets of endcaps I can sell you!!!

Comment

There is a great MH set up the Alan, UK guy has for sale now at a fair price.

Comment

Working...
                              X