No announcement yet.

180 Gallon, starting from scratch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have any feedback or knowledge of ASM protein skimmers? I am looking at the G-2 for my tank. Petsolutions has it for $273. I am also looking at the mag drive 12 pump for my return. I have an existing pump that's a little smaller that I am going to use as well for return. I think I am going to go with 1.25 overflows and 1" return lines (2) of them. I have thought about putting the returns in the bottom of the tank with check valves in the line to keep the tank from over flowing my sump in a power outage. Can anyone tell me why there is 3 stand pipes in the Beans system? I can see that I need 2 overflows to the sump, 1 for skimmer and 1 for refugium section. I just can't figure out what the 3rd one is for.

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

In beans system you do not feed one to the skimmer. They both go to the sump and the third is a emergancy.

1 runs full flow, 1 runs partial, 1 hopefully stays dry with exception of startup.

It takes alot of clicking to go back to his original post but it is very much worth the read if you have not.

Also before I started mine I went and saw a tank with it in action. You are more than welcome to come up here. Map 43315. This weekend may not be best but I am available almost any other time. weekday or end.

Make sure you can find the 1.25 bulkheads. Another member was having problems but I am sure they were available online at savco.

Comment

i don't know anything good or bad about ASM protein skimmers. i like the needle wheel protein skimmers myself.if i was you i would want a protein skimmer Rated for 250 to 300 gallons. i will let someone that has a tank that size give you there input on your overflow and the mag drive 12 pump or was is a good return pump.i have used the mag drive 7 pump it worked good for me.i use a check valve on my return.i know a lot of people don't like them but i have had good luck with them.i use the one from BRS with the Union on them so if you would can clean them. i would never put a check valve on the overflow.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusUSG View Post
          I have thought about putting the returns in the bottom of the tank with check valves in the line to keep the tank from over flowing my sump in a power outage.
          I'd highly recommend staying away from check valves in a marine environment... they will eventually fail.

Also consider running a single larger return pump instead of two medium size pumps. It will save on electric consumption. If you do go with something like a Mag 12 run it external as they are major hear producers.

Comment

Skip the mag and skip the ASM. Mags get way to hot and are very inefficient power wise. ASM's are quite oldschool skimmers that have had little changes in the last 5-6 years yet are sold at a price like they're premium. A G2 is also pretty small for that tank as you have to go 2-3x their ratings at least to get decent performance.

Comment

Amber, thank you for the offer. Far drive, we'll see I know JH2Pizza offered and he is a lot closer.. Sorry I have a Hemi and it drinks gas. I have read through the article but have not given it proper attention, but I will. I had read somewhere that you should run like 75% to skimmer and 25% to refugium. I take it that's wrong, no problem.. Lowscooby76, I didn't plan on check valve for overflow, sorry if I stated that, I was planning on return because I would like the returns in the front bottom of the tank. But with Hollback's comment I am concerned now. I was thinking bottom tank return to keep the head height to a minimum. In doing that if the power goes out then the aquarium would drain completely. So I guess I will go back to a top return and buy a bigger return pump. I have never used an external pump before either so that concerns me as it takes up a little more room, probably not that big of an issue. I agree with the one pump return.. Thank you.. RokleM, I have visited Geo's web pages and sent an email to him about a skimmer. I know his are beast and everyone likes them but I have not heard anything back. I tried to send him a PM but it wouldn't let me, it said something like he don't allow PM's.. I know that the skimmer is the more expensive piece I will need to purchase so I am trying to get that out of the way first. RokleM, what type of skimmer do you recommend? Same question for you you Lowscooby76?? Back to visits, I have seen some of Zepplin's setup and the setup at Reef Systems, so I have a general understanding but this was a few years ago and I am sure changes in the way things run have improved since then. Thank you all!!

Jeff

Comment

some types of overflow and drains can be ran to skimmers. However it is not recommended for Beans setup. zepps and reef system do not run beans at least I do not think Larry does. So although it is always nice to see a tank I think seeing a beans system running will let you see little newounses that you do not get from reading the article. Like. where the water height is in the overflow. What to expect from the pipes while running.

I know I am 30 minuets from Polaris so I get that it is far to you city dwellers. If you change your mind just ask.

Even if you put the check valve in the returns they are highly unreliable. So I would agree with whoever said to skip them.

External pumps do take up more space but make sure you plumb them with shut off and unions on both sides so that they can be easily maintained.

You can also PM Geo on RC since he has turned it off here.

Comment

LOL, Amber I am not city dweller.. I am a township dweller.. I live about 40-45 mins east of Columbus.. Ok, no to check valves and returns to be over the back side of the tank
                  I was able to get a hold of GEO and we are under way on deciding the skimmer..

Comment

Alright, going with the beckett skimmer from GEO.. I need a high pressure pump that pushes around 1000gph. I need suggestions on what will work best to run the skimmer most efficiently. I know that there are a few beckett skimmer owners on here and would greatly appreciate your feedback on the skimmer pump you are running.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    X