180 Gallon, starting from scratch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180 Gallon, starting from scratch

I have a 180 gallon tank that I bought and it has sat in my garage for almost 3 years. It came with no over flow, light or lids. The light isn't a problem as I am going to have to buy/build something for that. I had to buy a stand. So here I am, tank and stand. The tank is a standard tank and all I want is an awesome saltwater tank. I would like to keep coral, lps, sps. and some pretty awesome looking fish. I could use all the help and suggestions any and everyone can give me!! It's not going to happen over night by any means as I will have to buy things before actually putting water in the tank. Does anyone have a magic lamp I could borrow?:-)) Where do I start? Is there any way I can use the tank I have for a saltwater setup?

I do have a little experience but it has been about 3 years and I at that time I had a make shift 75 gallon setup that my 3 year old destroyed by testing my water. The problem with that was he tested the water while it was in the tank. Yes, he poured the complete kit into my tank..

Jeff

Hi jeff welcome to CORA, im in the heath area. I am by no means an expert but i'll help as much as possible.

i have never had a tank the size of yours. The biggest tank i've kept was a 40 gallon down to a 5 gallon. I currently have a 25g cube LED lit. So i dont know much about return plumbing and all that. I've only had 1 sump that was on the 40.

I run my tank sumpless, and skimmerless. Just do weekly 5g water changes.which is easy on a 25g tank, not so much on a 180....lol
    So a sump with a good skimmer is probably best for you.

Also becoming a member is the best thing! You get full access! Just something to think about. Best $13 ive ever spent

Belle

Comment

Belle, thank you. I am not sure if I should use 1, 2 or 3 over flows from inside the tank to a sump or what. The tank is pretty big to just throw in the car and take it some where to be drilled. I wonder if there is someone that could come and drill the tank here at the house, that would be best scenario, and I could understand a decent fee for it as well.. Gas isn't cheap, I understand that. I am not new to CORA just been a while.. when I had my 75 setup I was a paying member. Thank you for the welcome!! I just had a layoff when my tank was destroyed.. I have the itch as I was looking at salt tanks online..

Comment

Welcome to Cora Jeff. The best advice I could give you is this. Spend a few weekends checking out other members set up. Write down and take pictures of everything you like or would like to use but with a twist. Then sit down and plan your set up. Things will go much easier for you as you will have a better understanding what your looking for,'know what you are looking for. There are two of us with large tanks in zanesville and one in Coshocton.
        Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

When you make a decision on what size and how many holes need drilled I can help you do it.

However I only drill one. See one, Do one.

I personally like the Beans setup with three pipes but that is all I have run so I can not say good or bad of the others.

Edit to add. I have to agree with Joe, about planning.

Comment

Thank you.. I would def. like to see people's setups in person. I Have been looking all over the web at pictures and video's where available. Amber, trying to understand what you mean by only drill one, see one, do one? I will research the Beans setup as well. My wheels are turning. I have a wall that I am going to put this against in the basement family room. I can run the plumbing through the wall to the other side for my 75 gallon sump. I will need to buy a bunch of stuff.. I need to figure out the lighting. What is the best lighting that will allow me the most versatility in corals. Awhile ago everyone was going back and forth with metal halides and T5 bulbs, I think. What size skimmer and return pumps should I be looking to buy? I have so many things running through my mind. I am thinking about 2 - drilled holes in the back for over flow, now should I have 2 return lines drilled in the back or just feed the return over the back.?.? So many questions.. LOL

Comment

Amber, can you use a hand drill to drill the wholes or do you need a mini drill press? If you can use a hand drill I could maybe just by the bits and give it a shot, I have a couple spare tanks, small ones to try it on..

Comment

Useing a hand drill is fine. Multi speed with a clutch set to stop easily. My new drill when you pull the trigger it starts slow which is great because when I did my tank I used one that was all on or all off.

See one, Do one is something I picked up from a Tv show. I will do one so you can see. Then you can do one. If you are comfortable. I can do them all, But I can promise you it is made to be scarier than it really is. Once you see it done the fear will be gone.

The first page of this thread talks about drilling my tank.

http://corareef.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9320

Skimmers... I am now biased We have Geo around so I have to say there really is none other.

Comment

Your welcome to take a drive to zanesville some sunday. We have two large systems minutes apart. Check out two of Geo's larger skimmers in action, alone with Ca reactors, Ka reactors, Media reactors, Over flows, etc all build by the man.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

Amber, I will look at this thread. Where do you get the drill bits for glass cutting.. Also, when drilling 3 holes like that so close together, does this weaken the glass at all? My first thought is it would but there seems to be a lot of people that do this, so it should be fine. JH2, all these reactors, i know that the Ca is calcium but what is the Ka and media reactors you are referring too? I will research these and assume they are important or you wouldn't have mentioned them. A trip to Zville sounds fun.. Anyone have a link on building a 75 gallon tank into a sump? I am, again, assuming that you can get plex glass at lowes or home depot to build the overflow tray? Links, links, links.. I need to start searching more. I am to excited about this project. Thanks everyone!!

Comment

Ok, Glass holes has the bits. Question, should I go with the 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" bit? Amber, I read that link you had and you stated in there that it was Glass Holes. :-)
                      Jeff

Comment

I tried to send a PM to Geo about a skimmer and it didn't go through.. Anyone know how I can get a hold of him?? Email address??

Jeff

Comment

poorboyaquatics.com

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusUSG View Post
                            Amber, I will look at this thread. Where do you get the drill bits for glass cutting.. Also, when drilling 3 holes like that so close together, does this weaken the glass at all? My first thought is it would but there seems to be a lot of people that do this, so it should be fine. JH2, all these reactors, i know that the Ca is calcium but what is the Ka and media reactors you are referring too? I will research these and assume they are important or you wouldn't have mentioned them. A trip to Zville sounds fun.. Anyone have a link on building a 75 gallon tank into a sump? I am, again, assuming that you can get plex glass at lowes or home depot to build the overflow tray? Links, links, links.. I need to start searching more. I am to excited about this project. Thanks everyone!!

I spaced mine farther apart than recommended. The bit I used does a 1 inch bulkhead. You can get bits from Glass holes. Pick the size bulkhead you want then buy the bit to match. OR Join the club we do have some bits available to club members.

Comment

Ok, Sent an email on the geosreef.com about skimmer. Working on plans for tank. Will let all know what we come up with. I have come to the understanding this isn't going to happen over night.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X