120g living room build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120g living room build

Going to start a build thread. Might be a little messy at first but I'll try and keep up with it.

Starting Equipment:
    -120g Perfecto RR Corner Drilled tank
    -home built maple stand(should be done this weekend)
    -20g long homemade sump
    -RS-80 Euro-reef skimmer (a little small but meh)
    -Sedra 12000 return pump
    -Koralias 4 x2
    -Stealth 200w heaters x2
    -Galaxy dual 250w electronic ballast
    -Reef Optix 3 pendant
    -Luman Max 3 pendant
    -40g breeder for display fuge
    -44" tall stand for display fuge
    -80lbs. of Dry Agronite Special grade reef sand
    -100lbs of Dry Figi Live rock

Things I am still looking at
    -Vortech mp40
    -plumbing

A layout of my time line:

This weekend we will be finishing up both stands and staining then sealing. I'll be picking up the 40 breeder from Phishys on Wednesday and hopefully Ill have most of the plumbing picked up by then. After I get everything assembled I will let tank cycle for around a month before I started adding the livestock and other liverock from the tanks I'm combining into to. To assist with getting some bacteria in the tank, I will be tanking a cup or two of live sand out of current tanks and maybe a rock or two and drop it in.

Couple of kinks I see so far:
    I can't deciede on how much sand. Wife requires a sand bed but im not sure if I want to go up to 4" or just have a 1/2" for the look. I guess that is something to consider after we get it set up and I look at. Before adding water of course.

Next issue I see is with the return line on the Sedra pump. It has female pipe thread in the size of 19mm. The fitting that came with the pump has a barb on it, and I think I was planning for slip. Does anyone know if Savko has something that can work for me?

Pictures to come next week.

In my 210 build I am trying to decide between a Tunze 6105/7096 controller (due this month) and a Vortech MP40W.
    In the end I plan to have at least two, but one to start with. The final cost is almost the same.

I am leaning toward the Tunze at this point. I saw them on Norm's tank and they are impressive. However the Vortech has a lot of promise too.

After reading some info posted by RokleM, I am concerned about the noise associated with the Vortech. The end of the tank where they would be located is right next to the living room.

The other goal is to have enough flow to reach the opposite end of the tank 6' away. From RokleM's writeup on RC, the Tunze would be the better choice in that case.

So many choices, so little money to spend.

Comment

Yeah I was looking at cost. But the wider flow is what I love. Since this tank is going to be a very mixed reef and I don't need pointed flow. I guess its just going to matter about how I arrange the rock work. Oh well I still have some time.

Comment

Where did you get your maple? I'm actually in the beginning process of another stand build and I was looking at maple. I know of a few lumber yards around, but I was just curious on where you got yours? What were you paying a board foot?

Comment

Good question, I am interested too.
          I have the sub frame built, but will start finishing the stand and canopy soon (hopefully).

Comment

The wood actually came from the father in laws private lumber yard. Well sorta of. He is a auction nut and the lumber we used came from a $15.00 lot. It was all rough cut however but he has a planar.Other than that info I can't be of much help. Sorry

Comment

It's ok thanks for the response. I have been looking at prices around from a couple of places that i know of around town. Just was curious of where you had got yours. May even call up the old high school and see if I would be able to buy lumber thru them

Comment

Originally posted by NKellett View Post
                It's ok thanks for the response. I have been looking at prices around from a couple of places that i know of around town. Just was curious of where you had got yours. May even call up the old high school and see if I would be able to buy lumber thru them
                Keep your eye out for Auctions. He just picked up 100 board feet of oak for 25 dollars this week. Crazy.

Have a good weekend all. Ill have pics up Monday.

Chris

Comment

its a little off topic but for those that are looking for a deal on lumber, check out paranzino brothers auctions. pbauctions.com. they auction off leftovers and stuff that was ordered by a customer only to have the customer change their mind when the product comes in. you can find some killer deals through them.
                  Last edited by fliynhi; 03-07-2009, 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Stand pics

Some pics of the past two weekends work. First 3 pics of work in progress and then the finished product.

Comment

Plan on this week is to pick up plumbing and get that taken care of, hopefully start the slow process of filling by next weekend.

Have a good week all.

Comment

Wow, nice work. I especially like the fish door pulls, those are awesome!
                        I couldn't talk you into building my canopy could I
                        I am also getting close to fill time, it is very exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by MarineFishGuy View Post
                          Wow, nice work. I especially like the fish door pulls, those are awesome!
                          I couldn't talk you into building my canopy could I
                          I am also getting close to fill time, it is very exciting.
                          Thanks The wife picked out the pulls. Very good choice.

Ugh, canopys.... I couldn't figure out a design that I thought I would be happy with, good luck We were rushed for time, so I had to make a canopy for the 40g breeder fuge that is horid looking, I will try and snap the picture tomorrow.

Comment

Got the tank and stands inside today. Cleaned the first 40lbs of sand and got it inside the tank.

Will be heading to Savko tomorrow and picking up the plumbing parts as well as stopping at Phishys to get my 40g breeder fuge. I should have plumbing done by this weekend and maybe start the long process of RO filling.

Some pics
                            Tank with 40lbs of sand, going to add another 40 and stick with a shallow sand bed

The stand on the left will house the display fuge. Might house a goby and a pistol shrimp not sure yet.

Comment

Nice work on the finishing. The stands look very professional.

You are a few steps ahead of me, I hope to move my tank to the stand this weekend and I still need to finish the exterior carpentry.

Comment

Working...
                              X