GEO shallow 150

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEO shallow 150

Thought I'd start up with a teaser for the build to come. Currently waiting on the aluminum to come for my stand that I ordered and designed. The Aquarium will be the GEO lookdown that came from Phishy. Still buffing out the acrylic (so many scratches), but I'll get pictures out when I get further along
    -Travis-

Looking forward to seeing how you scape this! This is going to be good
    500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

Comment

I hope so. I'm actually taking my time to do it correctly
      -Travis-

Comment

that will be cool, never seen a display tank that shallow. Are you going to have any rocks coming out of the water? like a tidal zone?

Comment

That's the plan. Yea not many tanks like this is why I was drawn to set it up as a display
          -Travis-

Comment

So I made some big headway on this build. Stand came today and I finally finished it. Need to make up some baffles on this sump and get the plumbing but it's starting to look nice
            -Travis-

Comment

This build is going to be very unique and super sweet I think, can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Comment

Unique is right. I'm tired of the classic glass box style aquarium. Clams are one of my favorite things and they look awful from the side so a look down will be perfect for me
                -Travis-

Comment

Thoughts on this aquascape?
                  -Travis-

Comment

I'm a big fan of having overhangs. It makes the space more realistic with the look of old branching corals instead of a pile of rock.

Comment

Plumbing is starting to come along
                      -Travis-

Comment

Travis, just something to think about...when I first set up my cube, I had a rockscape very similar to the photo you showed above. I loved it, but quickly learned that the cave look limited flow inside the cove. I tried multiple flow patterns but could never get flow in there. I wished I had a closed loop or if I had a canopy I could run my return lines to the front of the tank by hiding them in the canopy. Sometimes I still think of how I could put powerheads in the front viewing pane to get better flow. I think I'm going to try MP60's in place of my MP40's and see if they have the umph to push flow off the glass backwards. But, the gyre is helping a lot.
                        Its funny, I spoke to Chris Ward when George was building my tank and he mentioned similar issues. He defeated his since it was in-wall and he ran the return lines to the front of the tank. When I drain mine to move I might drill it for a closed loop.
                        just my opinion on something to think about.

corey

Comment

I'll have a lot of flow and if I don't get enough flow I'll be able to put flow in the viewing panels but we will see.
                          -Travis-

Comment

Yeah I don't have enough I think. I have a dart as my return pump (which I dont really count) then 2 MP40's and a large gyre. More importantly though I still don't think I get enough flow to some areas of the tank.
                            Chris did it right!!! Not just being a TOTM but with the closed loop, at least in my opinion.

Either way, let me know if you want a set of hands to help you man, I'm around.

Corey

Comment

Good points Corey. You do have lots of experience with a system with these dimensions. I highly recommend keeping away from a closed loop through the bottom of your tank. I just noticed two weeks ago that all 4 of my bulkheads in the bottom of my overflow are leaking. After 9 years of the tank being set up, the vibrations must have loosened the bulkheads. Luckily I just need to drain my overflow, and not my entire display.

As Corey pointed out, Chris's tank worked well because it was inwall with only one viewing pane. He had several Tunze powerheads on each of the three other walls. He always had difficulty getting good flow in a large square footprint.

Comment

Working...
                              X