sump plumbing rework

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump plumbing rework

Ok so im getting things ready to completely rework my sump area and plumbing. i had a question in my current setup i have my drain coming from the tank split into 3 lines one goes directly to the sump, one goes through the uv and one goes 2 the fuge. i have lots of spare tanks around so my question is, is it worth it to have a line drain into a say 20 or 30 tall and then to the sump. my reasoning is to use it as a detritus catch making it easy for when i do water changes to pull it out plus adding a little more water volume . another scenario would be to put the skimmer in that tank instead of the sump or is it best to have the skimmer in the sump. i plan on still sending a line through the uv but and then to the sump. but i think i want to have my fuge fed from my return line and then back to the sump because now it's coming from the tank drain i get alot of detritus in the fuge. its bare bottom but with all the macro its hard to pull out without sucking out the macro. any suggestions would be great.
    155 gallon bowfront dt, 100 gallon basement sump, 20 gallon long fuge, reeflo hammerhead, Auqua Euro 250

It will be one more thing to maintain. Moving the skimmer shouldn't make a difference unless you have a bubble issue might help with that. If it were me, I wouldn't bother.

Comment

I have seen a set up with all drains running into a 40 gallon tank then into a sump. When he does water change, he closes a few valves and redirects the water to the main sump. From there he just empties the 40 gallon, which he has drilled in the bottom. Im not sure if he switched out the panes on the tank to drill the bottom or what. But it is a slick set up. Although without the bottom drilled I'm not sure how it would work so easy.

corey

Comment

filter socks are a wonderful detritus catch

Comment

Originally posted by BIECAKA View Post
          I have seen a set up with all drains running into a 40 gallon tank then into a sump. When he does water change, he closes a few valves and redirects the water to the main sump. From there he just empties the 40 gallon, which he has drilled in the bottom. Im not sure if he switched out the panes on the tank to drill the bottom or what. But it is a slick set up. Although without the bottom drilled I'm not sure how it would work so easy.

corey
          This is pretty much my plan for my next build, but using a 50 gallon bucket from a previous water storage setup. I do think you could drill low on the side of a tank and use an elbow to get close to the bottom, but it seems like it would be more work (and you would not be able to easily drain the tank dry). The biggest requirement seems to be that the flow through the tank needs to be low enough to allow settling, which if you run your entire drain through it on a larger system would be a bigger challenge.
          -Aanonymous- (John)

Comment

Working...
          X