X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting everything in the stand has been a bit of an adventure

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

nice lego work! lol. is it easy to come out for cleaning and maintenance?

Comment

Yeah, nothing is fastened permanently. Only major issue is that the sump itself can only be removed from the top, so the rank would need to be removed first. I thought it would fit in through the door but it doesn't.

Comment

Looks good- is that a stainless clamp on the return pump? If so I would change it out with a plastic clamp.

Comment

Actually they're titanium http://www.titan-marine-hardware.com...ose-clamps.htm

Comment

good looking start buddy

corey

Comment

One thing I noticed in the pict of it full of water is make sure you have enough room in your sump to hold al the water that will drain from the top tank when you have a power outage.
                Bill
                Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

Yes, it's been tested. There's enough room.

Comment

Good news bad news post.

Good news: tanks filled and cycling is started.
                    Bad news: my carpentry skills aren't holding up to the temperature and humidity difference as well as I'd like.

Comment

is the gap in the canopy very noticeable? if not id probably just get some foam gasket material to block light from getting out and call it a day.
                      -Travis-

Comment

It's not noticeable from the front, but definitely from the side. I'll probably take it off and build a new one. But that can wait.

Comment

So, tank has been up for about 6 weeks now. The cycle has been moving very slowly, to the point that's it's been a bit concerning. I began with one piece of live rock from the old tank that I tossed in the sump and then dosed with ammonia up to 3 ppm. I removed the live rock after about a week. I've dosed the tank 3 times and each time it has taken a few weeks to eliminate the ammonia and nitrites. This most recent time I finally hit diatoms however nitrites are still present. In addition over the past few days I've noticed what appears to be a heavy bacterial growth on the filter sock. I want to make sure that the tank can cycle through ammonia in 24 hours or so, it just seems like it's taking forever to get to that point. Should I be concerned yet?

Comment

There are a couple of bacteria/cycling products out there you may want to try if you want to speed it up. Are you daily dosing ammonia, or just after it drops? iirc, the process is to dose daily so that the bacteria always have something to feed on. Hopefully someone with more cycling experience will weigh in. Might be worth trying the shrimp method as well?
                            -Aanonymous- (John)

Comment

You need more organic material in your system. Throw that live rock back in or a piece of uncooked shrimp. Don't dose anything. Let it run it's course. IME, a tank will cycle for MANY months before things balance out. Everytime you add something, coral, fish, rock,... you throw off the balance and the tank cycles again.

Comment

I had only re-dosed after my ammonia and nitrite went to zero. However, this past week I had been getting some strange readings on nitrite and nitrate on the salifert test kits. I just re-tested with red sea kit and it turns out that nitrate is off the charts high. I'm planning on doing a 100% water change this weekend and will toss in a shrimp afterwards and try to run the cycle again. It's just very strange, this is the same way I set up my current tank and I have been very successful with it IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X