Starting prep for new sump room / DT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting prep for new sump room / DT

So those that have passed through my place recently have heard that my 50g cube is departing my home office soon (already in it's place is a pretty nice nuvo fusion 20g).

Construction is going to be starting soon on my new DT, a 90g corner acrylic pentagon. But that's just the inside. Through the wall in my garage (concrete slab, no basement), I'll be adding a 100g rubbermaid sump, a 50g frag tank and 50g refugium, along with proper mixing stations and reactors.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the attached image.

Currently the planned flow of the system is:
    -DT drains to 100g rubbermaid sump.
    -Return panworld 150ps feeds DT, Reactor rack manifold, frag tank.
    -Frag tank drains half to feed refugium, half back to sump.
    -Refugium drains into sump.

-Reactor rack will run GFO and Calcium/CO2 reactor.
    -Frag tank will be split into two chambers, an LED lit LPS/Softy side, and Mh SPS side.
    -Refugium will be split into a marinepure chamber, and mud/rock/mangrove/chaeto chamber. Refugium will be run on a red spectrum LED grow light.

-RODI generator will be direct plumbed off an inside fridge ice line. Storing into an elevated brute with a float switch to cutoff, and drain line to freshwater storage barrel for recycling. It will gravity feed to a mixing brute that will be mounted on casters with an MP25 pump to circulate the water mix. Also, a gravity feed with an electronic valve will supply an Auto Top Off to the sump.

Attached is an image showing the planned layout. Not to scale or anything. Appreciate any feedback you have!
    BUILDING OUT:
    75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
    3x 50g acrylic frag tanks
    100g rubbermaid sump

Wow, lots of planning there.

One thing: I might not use a gravity feed from the ATO to the sump: if something fails "open" there, you will flood your sump due to the auto syphon. Can you use something like the Tunze ATO, with an Aqualifter?

Finally, just keep an eye on the temps in the winter if you are keeping all this stuff in your garage. I would think it would be hard to keep all that warm with just some heaters in your sump.

Comment

The gravity feed for the ATO will be controlled by an electric valve wired up to a 2-stage float switch, but also there will be a manual float valve where it enters the sump as a tertiary backup, so at worst it would only raise the level in the sump by ~1" or so.

The entire garage is getting insulated and we're installing some sort of heat in there to keep it above 65F through the winter. Ambient temp last winter was about 20F above outside, so heat is definitely in the plans.

We may also close off the sump room space with a freestanding, separately insulated enclosure to save on the heating cost.
      BUILDING OUT:
      75g corner acrylic pentagon DT with repurposed AIO chambers for marinepure reactor
      100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

You can also elevate the 100g rubbermaid so it doesn't absorb the cold from the floor. Building a room would be better I think as you might not need to heat it with the equipment to keep a smaller room warmer, just dont forget about getting hot moist air out of a small room to avoid mold.

Looks good otherwise Quite an undertaking!
        ==> New 210 Miracles Starphire Build in Progress!

Comment

Thanks! I already planned to build an insulated platform for the 100g sump to keep it off the cold concrete.

We're leaning towards just insulating the entire garage so we can run a smaller A/C heat unit. Goal would be to keep it around 60F in the winter and under 80F in the summer.

Luckily the garage does have about an 18ft high ceiling in some areas to vent hot air during the summer.

We've also planned to use the proper mold resistant materials. Roxul insulation on the main wall, green backerboard and possibly fiberglass wall panels covering the sump wall.

Thanks!
          BUILDING OUT:
          100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

The painful process of demolition has started but has been slow going. I had actually finished building the stand and dry-fitting the water station, however lost my RO Membrane due to it freezing out there.

I've built a temporary heated cabinet that is heated by a ceramic light bulb used for reptile cages. It's hooked up to a thermostat that turns it on under 40F and keeps the cabinet 40-50F. No more freezes!
            BUILDING OUT:
            100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Any updates?
              500 gallon build in slo-mo progress...

Comment

haaa. Unfortunately not. Had to put the project on hold as I had a tree taken down and harvested for wood. So currently I have an entire maple tree that was cut into lumber and slabs taking up the majority of my garage space. As soon as it has had a chance to dry I'll be finish cutting a lot of it which will free up the space again. It looks like it will be a winter project again for me, but I wasn't in a hurry to begin with. All the parts are there, just need to build it.
                BUILDING OUT:
                100g rubbermaid sump

Comment

Working...
                X