Any one here work with acrylic???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one here work with acrylic???

Hello folks, I'm building a 93g cube system and trying to figure out what to do for a sump. I was debating a 40g breeder but I wanna customize my sump for functionality. That being said, I have a 180g acrylic sump I picked up off of a friend on here and was thinking about cutting it up and building my own sumo but have never worked with acrylic before! Any one here ever glue there own together and if so any tricks or tips would be appreciated! !!! Let me know thanks!!

Man I just thought about it lol, I have enough acrylic to build a ato container doser containers and probe holders lol. So I really need to figure this gluing process out

Comment

wow. Build an ATS for me while youre at it!

Comment

I built my ATS out of acrylic.
        Get a few small scrap pieces and head to American plastics on 5th to get the solvent. Try it a few times on scrap before you go for the sump. It's not easy and does take a touch of skill. The solvent acts QUICKLY so not a lot of room for error.

Corey

Comment

Cool thanks corey! I have plenty of acrylic just needed to know where to get the bonding stuff. Do you know how much they charge for the solvent

Comment

I think the place on 5th moved. The solvent is cheap, like less than $10 for a jar of the liquid, and maybe $8 for a tube, but don't use the tube when building it first, clamp it down hard and use the liquid stuff instead.

Comment

Where else can u get it if that place moved?

Comment

First and foremost, you can't really cut old acrylic and re-use it. Basically it's absorbed moisture, won't bond correctly, etc. Save a few bucks vs a floor full of water and fired pumps....

Secondly, ever heard of GEO?
                -Eric

Comment

American plastics just moved a block or so bill. It's still over there, just not the same exact building.

Comment

Is that the only local place to get weld on 4?

Comment

would be nice to setup a club workshop or something for acrylic work. i wouldnt mind going to something like that if we have someone that would be able to set that up
                      -Travis-

Comment

Working...
                      X