12 Gallon JBJ Nano LED Build Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Gallon JBJ Nano LED Build Up

I will be posting pictures and information in this thread as the build progresses.

My wife won the LED tank in a contest hosted by Aquarium Adventure. I have distant future plans for a 150 gallon tank, bit this dropped in our lap, so here we go.

I will post pictures later, but so far we have picked up 15 pounds of reef saver rock from Bulk Reef Supply, a Cobalt Nano heater and refractometer. We mixed up approriate salt water and have had the rock in the tank for almost a week and a half with no lights. This is to ensure there were no organic compounds left on the rock (even though reef saver shouldn't have any anyway, better safe than sorry). This also gives the rock some time to leach out phosphorous and maybe some other nutrients. As of Friday, we'll do a 100% water change and add the Hawaiian Black Sand. Then it will be time to cycle the tank.

We ordered an RO/RODI drinking water and reef system from BRS on Friday. I will be plumbing and installing that on friday. My plan is to route the RO water from a petcock to the pressure tank, then to a faucet I will install at our kitchen sink and to the ice maker. The oher side of the petcock will run to the DI cannister. That will get plumbed to a canister with a float switch. My plan is to elevate the canister and install a tap in the bottom to fill a five gallon bucket with RODI water. We will end up with two buckets, one for RODI top off and one bucket with a power head and heater for salt water for water changes.

I am a competent plumber and I have most of the hose routing worked out in my head. I am not sure of my house water pressure, if its way below 65 psi, I'll add a permeate pump later.

We have kept two planted freshwater tanks for a couple years, but this is our first foray into marine tanks. I have no doubt that we will make mistakes along the way. Hopefully this thread will be useful for other new people starting out and they can learn from our mistakes and successes.

Pictures to follow.

Welcome!!
    If you need anything don't hesitate to ask
    This is my reef tank
    There are many like it
    But this one is mine

93 Gallon Rimless Cube, Full Apex, 2x Kessil A360WE, Bashsea Twisted Skimmer, 2x Geo Media Reactors, Maxspect Gyre 150, Bubble Magus Doser, 30 Gallon Geo Sump, 20 Gallon Geo Fuge

Comment

Welcome to the addiction!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and welcome

Comment

I love the look of the black sand. I've been scared to try it because i've heard its magnetic and gets stuck to glass cleaners easily. Let me know if this is or is not your experience!

Comment

Here is the tank

Here is 15 pounds or BRS Reef Saver Rock

This is the BRS RODI Reef and drinking water system with a TDS monitor, Pressure Gauge, Flush Valve, Float Valve, and other miscellaneous plumbing pieces.

Install of the RODI begins soon.

Comment

Great start! I don't see an auto shutoff in the photo. Did it come with one?

Comment

Yeah, its already plumbed next to a flow restrictor under the RO Membrane cannister. At first blush, it looks like BRS put together a nice package.

Comment

Hello everyone. I have few updates. Shortly after getting thr RO/DI kit, I installed it with several shut offs. Its plumbed to a faucet at the kitchen sink, the ice maker and the DI cartridge is plumbed to a bucket with a float shut off. I can see 2-10 ppm of TDS from the RO and 0 TDS going to the bucket. We picked up a small power head and heater for water destined for changes.

The tank has been cycling for just over 4 weeks. We logged and tested the water the whole time. We watched the ammonia spike, then the nitrites. Then saw a gradual climb in nitrates until we had a break out of brown algea. Now we see very little nitrates, but 0 Ammonia and 0 nitrites. This was all assisted by phantom feeding and microbacter. Its our thought that nitrates are being comsumed by the algea.

Our plan is to add an invert next weekend to eat the algea. Maybe a turbo snail or emerald crab. Does that sound appropriate? Of course that will be after a full water change this week. I have new batches of water prepping now. Maybe even 2 water changes.

So I understand that prepping inverts is a delicate process, is that correct?

Comment

best thing to do is not rush it, you seem to be on the right track. by water change i would never do a 100% water change as youre pulling that bacteria out of the water column. The nitrates and phosphates will be consumed by the algae. the brown algae for the most part is the last part of the cycle. i would keep water changes up, a turbo might be ok to add now, but i wouldnt add any fish to the tank just yet. keep an eye out on the ammonia and nitrates ect throughout the process.
                    -Travis-

Comment

just drip some tank water into the bag they come in for about 45 minutes then put in just the invert, none of the water it came in.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyMint View Post
                        just drip some tank water into the bag they come in for about 45 minutes then put in just the invert, none of the water it came in.
                        agreed, never use other tank water. i always tend to float the bag to get the same temp and then i drip acclimate everything i introduce into the tank.
                        -Travis-

Comment

also i like the aquascaping you did, i have a terrible time aquascaping a nano for some reason
                          -Travis-

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyMint View Post
                            That depends... some echinoderms actually prefer the water of the shipping container be added to the aquarium, slime and other chemicals can help it adapt. And because they are super sensitive to water parameters I always acclimate my sensitive inverts like starfish, urchins and even shrimp for at least a couple of hours, sometimes more.

Comment

double post

Comment

Working...
                              X