Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Gallon Rimless "Cube" Tank Build

Hey All!

After somehow winning the 93 Gallon Reef-Ready "Cube" tank at the LEAR swap with my one ticket ( ), I've got a new tank to play around with and I wanted to both share my ideas, build experience (once I actually get around to it), and hopefully get some cool ideas from you guys/gals!

There's a few rules that I'm setting for the build:
    • There can be absolutely nothing mounted onto or touching the sides/top of the tank in any way that would be visible.
    • There can be nothing related to tank maintenance/filtration that it visible outside of the stand.
    • Everything has to be "show worthy". (Even the sump--to a degree. I want this to be a system that I can invite other hobbyists over to see and be proud of every aspect of the tank.)

With that said, my plan thus far is to remove the overflow and plumb the tank for a central rock spire. I'm looking at moving my current fish into that tank (a female box anthias and 3 purple firefish) and I've been thinking of adding some fish that I'm going to list here as I find that easier (don't worry, I'm not planning on adding all of them):
    • Borbonius Anthias (pair)
    • White Bar Anthias (Pseudanthias leucozonus; probably not more than one due to their cost)
    • Pictillis Anthias (Aaron has a female that I've been eying since she came in)
    • Bimaculatus Anthias (notice that I like anthias?)
    • Some kind of wrasse (probably a type of leopard, however any wrasse would be cool)
    • Some kind of tang
    • Some kind of sand sifter (I'm not sure if I want to use fish or shrimp for this, but I'd love some advice)
    • Anything else that's really cool!

Please let me know what you think and any cool ideas that you have for what I could do with this build.
    38 Gallon Mixed-Reef connected to a 37 Gallon Non-Photosynthetic Tank

I'm going to need to run a UV sterilizer on the tank: Any recommendations?

I was considering running a Coralife TurboTwist 6X, but I want to see if any of you have experience with UV sterilizers and can offer some suggestions. While cost is a concern, I'm more interested in making sure that I get a good, reliable sterilizer.

Comment

Also, does anyone know of a good glass shop in town (Columbus, preferably, though I've never said no to a road trip) too cut baffles for a sump?

Comment

I've used Brooks Brothers Glass in the past to cut glass for me. But this has been years ago when they were on Main Street in Whitehall. Looking at their site http://www.brooksbrothersglass.com/ they may have "evolved" a bit, not sure if the would still cut baffles for you but might be worth a call.

Comment

Just ordered glass through capital glass on fisher rd on the westside for a sump I am going to build. I can't fit a20 under my tank so I am going to build one

Comment

With removing the overflow to the center are you going to plug the holes in the bottom and redrill for the center overflow?
            Bill
            Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Comment

Isn't the bottom tempered? If it is you won't be able to relocate your overflow, not to mention, that will take up most of your real estate. Trust me, by the time you add the center column overflow and try to hide it with rock, you won't have much room. Stick with the current overflow so the tank is more open.

If you don't want anything in the tank, how will you manage flow? Closed loop? again with the tempered thing.

What kind of corals do you intend on keeping?

I'd think a wrasse would be out if you're planning on keeping the top open.

Comment

+1 to capital city glass, they cut my baffles for me on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hollback View Post
                  Isn't the bottom tempered? If it is you won't be able to relocate your overflow, not to mention, that will take up most of your real estate. Trust me, by the time you add the center column overflow and try to hide it with rock, you won't have much room. Stick with the current overflow so the tank is more open.
                  I was going to remove the overflow and then run additional PVC to get my return/drain lines to the middle. Of course I'd love to re-drill the holes, but as you say the bottom glass is tempered.

I hadn't gotten around to thinking about how much room the rock spire would take: Thanks for bringing that to my attention! If I can make it work (even with a lot of chiseling/drilling) I still want to do it, but I'll have to play with my rock to see if it's possible.

If you don't want anything in the tank, how will you manage flow? Closed loop? again with the tempered thing.
                  I was thinking about "embedding" some circulation pumps into the rock spire and running their lines through the drain pipe. I briefly considered closed-loop, but without drilling holes in the bottom it would take up way too much real estate and be too difficult to hide with rock.

What kind of corals do you intend on keeping?
                  I'm planning on this being a Non-Photosynthetic display.
                  I'd think a wrasse would be out if you're planning on keeping the top open.
                  Duly noted! Thanks!

Comment

Regarding rock on the center overflow, maybe use a tile saw to cut flat faces on the rock and "glue" it to the overflow glass. That would maximize the coverage/concealment of the overflow with minimal space. Does Tunze still make their "Tunze rocks" to hide Tunzestreams?

On the flip side of that idea, though, if you're doing NPS you'll be dumping a lot of food into that tank and having fixed rock work that might have areas that aren't easily cleaned could create nutrient sinks that would give you headaches.

If you do the center overflow/rock tower, you should put some red LEDs in it and a fog machine and set it to "erupt" a couple times a day like a high school science fair project.
                    Rob
                    90G DT on Hiatus...
                    Nanobox Tide powered IM Fusion Nuvo 10 in recovery

Comment

Galvin do some research on the long term viability of the NPS tanks. I don't know anyone who has kept one long term successfully.
                      In fact one of the best reefkeepers I know just took down his NPS because of algae and other issues, despite no light. They look nice initially but are hard has heck to keep looking nice long term.

Comment

Another thing to consider like Perched has mentioned, you want to be able to access things, like pumps for maintenance. Because eventually they all need cleaned.

Comment

And re-tagging on Porky's comment, even the BEST NPS tanks seem to eventually get beyond what the most avid reefers want to deal with. Mike Cao (Uhuru on RC/Reefervet on CORA) had an NPS tank that was TOTM on RC and even at that level of success it eventually became too much to deal with and started getting away from him. Amazing and beautiful when done and maintained correctly, but a crazy commitment.

Here's the link to Mike's article. Of course, showing you that tank probably contradicts the argument I just made for not doing NPS. It was stunning.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month
                          Rob
                          90G DT on Hiatus...
                          Nanobox Tide powered IM Fusion Nuvo 10 in recovery

Comment

Beautiful tank indeed, but I can help but wonder how many of those animals are still alive...

Comment

Yea wow. NPS... not for me! Lol i just read his tank thread and have a migraine.

Comment

Working...
                              X