DIY stand questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY stand questions

I built a custom stand for a 60 rimless cube. As flat as I could make it, it has about an 1/8th inch warp in it. Will a leveling mat, or yoga mat be enough to protect my tank from cracking down the line?

I think the first thing to do is to try and correct the stand itself. Are you sure it's the stand itself or could you possibly try some shims. If you can shim I'd use plastic shims since they don't compress like wood. You'll need a mat underneath the tank no matter what assuming it doesn't have a bottom rim/frame. Beyond that you could try test filling the tank on the stand to see how the stand compresses and then check the final level. The tank with water is about 500lbs so there will be some compression.
    Vaughn

IM Fusion Nuvo 20G, Ghost Skimmer, Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex, Neptune Apex DOS, Gyre 130, Tunze 3155 ATO,

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to work on fixing the stand being uneven first. Do you think I should order a mat made for this application, or use some squishy foam like from the hardware store. I have also read about yoga mats being used.

Comment

I'd go first with whatever the tank manufacturer recommends so as to keep any warranty valid. Short of that, lots of people use the foam insulation sheets from Home Depot or Lowes (I've used it myself). I don't have experience with using something like a yoga mat.
        Vaughn

IM Fusion Nuvo 20G, Ghost Skimmer, Kessil A360WE, Neptune Apex, Neptune Apex DOS, Gyre 130, Tunze 3155 ATO,

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm voiding warranty by not using their stand.

Comment

Working...
          X