My dream build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dream build

Measurements have begun and some equipment has been purchased.

I will be finishing my basement in the coming week and making an in wall build with a bar coming out from the tank.

Pictures of progress will come if anyone cares, but here is a tentative equipment list.

Tank - 48x24x31 150g. Opposite corner drains/returns
    2 kessil 360w and 2 kessil 160w tuna blue
    gyre150
    Still have 2 150 reactors for carbon and gfo
    Sump will be pretty standard.

Skimmer has not been chosen completely, but leaning towards an external reef octopus.

Will continue to have my DSB 40g refugium/seahorse display, but will probably start barebottom in MD until i innevitably cant stand the look any longer.

Any recommendations on the skimmer/return pump? I believe both will be external for easier maintenance/replacement.

since your wanting external skimmer then most certainly recommending a Beckett from GEO.
    return pumps will depend on GPH wanted. along with head pressure etc. also will you be doing a manifold so reactors can be ran off the return pump ?
    that said Reeflo, Panworld an Iwaki are all top brands.

Comment

I will probably only use the return for.... return. Im fine with themaxijets to power the reactors. Ill have plenty of sump room since the skimmer would be external.

ive been told iwaki is strong, will run forever but noisy. Lol

Thanks

Comment

Very nice! What kind of corals are you planning to keeping?

Comment

Sticks.

Will be eventually buying "the dos" when they grow out and it becomes too unreasonable to manually do the two part.

Comment

You are going to need way more than a gyre150 as your only form of flow. Don't get me won’t get me wrong, it’s a great flow devise but it’s laminar flow. IME, the more direction you can provide flow from, the better the growth. As corals grow and start to block other corals, flow from different directions is a must. Remember we want to replicate nature as much as possible. Flow comes at different speeds from multiple angles on the reef at different times of the day.

Comment

Yes, I will be picking up a second for the opposite side of the tank for when they become apex compatible in a couple months.

Do you think I will be ok for when I only have frags and not large colonies?

I guess that was my thought process

Comment

Yep, you'd be fine for a while with one. Over time, you will get directional growth since you have flow from one direction. Two would be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyMint View Post
                  Measurements have begun and some equipment has been purchased.

I will be finishing my basement in the coming week and making an in wall build with a bar coming out from the tank.

Pictures of progress will come if anyone cares, but here is a tentative equipment list.

Tank - 48x24x31 150g. Opposite corner drains/returns
                  2 kessil 360w and 2 kessil 160w tuna blue
                  gyre150
                  Still have 2 150 reactors for carbon and gfo
                  Sump will be pretty standard.

Skimmer has not been chosen completely, but leaning towards an external reef octopus.

Will continue to have my DSB 40g refugium/seahorse display, but will probably start barebottom in MD until i innevitably cant stand the look any longer.

Any recommendations on the skimmer/return pump? I believe both will be external for easier maintenance/replacement.
                  Looks pretty good. I had 2 mp40 on my 180g tank until last week when i added a gyre 150. That thing is impressive, Flow all the way across the tank, and even though i "thought" my tank was clean, it stirred up tons of stuff from the bottom and brought it right to the top of the water, actually pretty cool to watch it work...

Comment

Yes. I added it to my 60 cube until i sell it on sunday and was running it at the lowest % and it kicked up a ton!. I am glad to hear good reviews on a larger tank. Ideally i think i would like to have one on each side and run one for 3 hours then the other etc. What do you think about that in terms of "multi directional"

Comment

Iwaki pumps are not that loud. I run one on my beckett skimmer in my living room. .
                      They are horses tho that are built to last, I also run a goby gold on my system as a return pump and it is quiet and pushes about 3800gph at max.

Corey

Comment

I have been scared away from the beckett style skimmers due to the ease of the air intake to get clogged and requiring constant cleaning.

Comment

I clean my intake about every 2 months. I've had very little issue with it clogging.

Comment

Well, maybe its just because of my personality my LFS told me it was a bad idea for me personally, but they work well if im willing to adjust it constantly.

Comment

+1 on Hollback's statement. They will tell you they aren't for you because they don't sell them. I hate to say that but there is some truth to it. A guy at one here in town told me they don't work well and keep tanks clean, outdated technology yet his store had 2 of them in operation at the current time. But he had none to sell me and no place to get them. They recommended me a Bubble King instead.
                              I will admit tho, they might not be for everyone. They do require some cleaning, but not much more then a needewheel. They both have pros and cons.
                              If possible I would go Internal in case of overflows, unless you have a shut off system for your skimmer somehow.

Corey

Comment

Working...
                              X