180 In-wall build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180 In-wall build

After being out of the hobby for almost a year. My dad and I have decided to take the plunge and finally build something that addresses all of the short comings of past tanks. We are building a 180 gallon in-wall setup. As of right now the only thing done is some framing. It will be a few months before the tank is setup and running. We are hoping to have all the framing done by the end of the month. Here's a picture to show our progress. Please excuse the mess.

Fun times there. That is awesome.

Are you looking for any advice on this, or you pretty much have it all figured out?

It looks like this is below grade, right? Which side of the wall will be the area where you will typically sit?

Comment

Advice is always welcome! Yes the room is below grade and the tank will be behind the wall in the picture.

Comment

So, the "viewing area" is more or less where the photo was taken?

Salty: I know you know what you are doing, but for others' benefit, someone planning something like this would need to plan where to put the sump, and also then, various fail-safes if the power goes out, etc.

It looks like you have plenty of room for this, and maybe could even add in a frag tank in the back area, all plumbed together.

Keep us updated with photos!

Comment

Yep photo is from the viewing area. As of right we are shooting from the hip so to speak. Once the room is done I'm going to try and use google sketch up for the sump and plumbing layout. We will also have a few containers for rodi water storage and pre mixed salt water. There are also plans to have a frag tank and a utility sink.

Comment

Off to a great start, keep the pics coming.

Comment

Little update. I managed to get the rest of the framing done today. I'm hoping to get all the Electrical in on my next day off. Drywall won't go up until after Christmas. No pictures this time lol. As always that's for the comments and encouragement it is appreciated.

Comment

Just stopping by to LOL and say I told you so.

Comment

Lol.....I know right. It will be fun for sure. You should stop by sometime when your feeling up to it. At some point I'm sure you'll want a larger tank.

Comment

Another small update. I managed to get all of the outlet boxes and wire pulled in the viewing side of the room. Still need to mount 2 boxes and pull the wire for the "fish room" as well as mount the can lights and pull the wire. Here are some pictures.

Comment

It'll be a bit before I'm ready to socialize, although we have Ones now!

Truthfully, we've been talking to Aaron about doing a 45g rimless cube to replace the 29g, but not a full reef again.

Comment

Looking good.
                        PEACE.....from Zeppelin

Comment

Another small update. I've managed to get the tank wall drywalled and all the GFCI outlets hooked up. Still have about 8 more sheets of drywall to hang before I can turn power on to the outlets. Then I can move on to putting drywall on the ceiling. Hoping to have all the walls drywalled and power hooked up by Sunday night. I also managed to get the six can lights installed and wired. Here are some pictures.

Comment

I would look into running a exhaust fan! Since building my fish room I'm having issues with moisture. I'm gonna run a exhaust fan and buy the flex dryer hose and run it out to my garage exhaust vents. Plus it will help with air gas exchange. Prolly have it hooked to apex and timed to come on about 4 times a day for certain amounts of time.

Comment

Sorry lol, room is looking sweet! I wish I could have a bigger room now lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X